Broken Vertical Soil pipe collar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Established Member
Reaction score
In the middle of renovating my own house and I had an old fashioned but perfectly fine vertical soil waste pipe for a downstairs toiler (with a S type trap fitting).

The drainage soil piping was all vitreous clay, and to my horror on Saturday i found the guys who were doing some first fix and tiling work for me smashed the collar leaving a stump in the ground which they were going to fill in.

They thought the new fitting for a new toilet would go through the wall (a P type fitting) but that route is not possible.

They insist the old vertical soil route is fine to use as the pan fitting will go over it. I am unhappy by not having this collar and wondering what to do next.

Anyway to fix this or is it permanently buggered now? I don't like the idea of a bodge with water fittings, least of all toilet soil fittings. there is some sort of plastic collar (https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-dc1 ... 10mm/4255v) would that work or am I going to have to get legal/heavy with the guys that did the damage?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 513
  • vertical collar.jpg
    vertical collar.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 513
No options really . dIg it out and replace. The cracks will always be a weakness in the waste pipe and likely to weep or leak.

I tried epoxy on a cracked one but could not achieve any penetration of the crack worth a Damon.

Hope the workers will cover the cost as mine cost £600 a couple of years ago.

beech1948":ac1p5qte said:
No options really . dIg it out and replace. The cracks will always be a weakness in the waste pipe and likely to weep or leak........

Precisely this.

However, you don't need to replace clay with clay. There are conversion fittings to take clay to plastic, and you should do just that. It won't be expensive (and the builders should be paying for it anyway).

If your builders did this, what else have they done without checking?

I'm with everyone else: regrettably the only safe thing is to cautiously dig it out, back to the next joint and replace with plastic. Yes you could just shove a tall pan connector in, but you're taking a risk and assuming it wasn't cracked when the damage was done.

By the way, I've learned the hard way to check the inside of pan connectors, for sticking out bits of plastic. Anything that stuff can get caught on there is a Very Bad Thing. It's a very different thing being a householder doing your own waste plumbing, to being a jobbing builder. One has a vested interest, and one moves on to another job ASAP...

E.

if the inside of the existing pipe is sound beneath the broken off collar the push in connector will be ok

If they're using a pan connector then the plumbers are fine to do what they have done, aslong as the rest of the pipe is fine then the pan connector just pushes inside anyway. The collar does nothing when used in this way. I would have cut it off with a grinder though.

I agree, but there are three things about it:

1. Whether the main pipe now has cracks (probable). In which case you have to take a view about how serious those are.

2. What went down the pipe at the time the damage was done: broken fragments commonly cause blockages. You might cross this off the list by jetting upwards from the nearest inspection pit downstream (jetting pushes debris backwards, towards where the jetting hose enters the system), or gently rodding it (can do more harm than good).

3. The fact they couldn't be bothered to ask about it - to me that's also a bit worrying.

Back