British Low Angle Block Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems that the long awaited Clifton block plane is coming. There are a few teasers here https://www.facebook.com/cliftonplanes?ref=profile that show a small bronze plane with an adjustable mouth.

On the downside, it looks like maybe the Clico range of hollow mortise chisels may be deleted. If that's the case then I guess no more Russell-Jennings auger bits etc. either.

Cheers, Vann.

Tremendous news, it's not often things come good after 6 years. Looking forward to seeing this and reading the reviews.

Also, the old school horizontal mill they use to square up the sides is fantastic, what a piece of kit.

Project unicorn is well underway and should be available soon, handled a couple of prototypes back at Easter and gave some feedback. It will be interesting to the finished design. It has at least one different feature to the others on the market.

Clifton are at my open day this Saturday and my fingers are crossed for the arrival of the new baby. But like all babies they only come out when they are ready!

Cheers Peter

Vann":3bx360ja said:
On the downside, it looks like maybe the Clico range of hollow mortise chisels may be deleted. If that's the case then I guess no more Russell-Jennings auger bits etc. either.

Cheers, Vann.

I think the drills and such remained with Clico, rather than going to Thomas Flinn. Which is bad news, given this, which I somehow missed:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2253731/

So if you want new auger bits, looks like Japanese or American from now.

I've ordered the block plane already - always said I'll have the first one :D Low angle, adjustable mouth, Bubinga lever cap. Should be a cracker 8)

Should have it by next week if all goes well.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Sheffield Tony":1xk1cjds said:
Vann":1xk1cjds said:

Cheers, Vann.

I think the drills and such remained with Clico, rather than going to Thomas Flinn. Which is bad news, given this, which I somehow missed:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2253731/

So if you want new auger bits, looks like Japanese or American from now.

That is sad. The last traditional maker of Jennings pattern augers, I think, and chairmaker's spoon bits.

Images of the much anticipated Clifton Block plane now available on our facebook page:
www.facebook.com/cliftonplanes

These are hot off production today so final professional images yet to be done!

10 years in the pipeline under previous ownership but we finally got it there for you all... hope you all enjoy this :)

Well done Katie, it is great to see a bold new British product proudly made in Sheffield.

Very nice, is the bubinga screwed from below to the brass plate, any idea on price and when it will be available?

Thanks

Sorry just seen your other post with link to website, interesting your only naysayer seems to own a berreta silver pigeon, which is a premium shotgun, if he applied the same reasoning to his shotgun purchasing surely he would have a 200 pound Spanish gun rather than one that costs in excess of a grand.

Whilst the price is high I can understand why, the idea of supporting the English manufacturer is certainly a noble one!

Adidat

No alternative to bubinga at this stage and would only be an alternative if the demand was there for this.

I rolled my eyes at that comment about the metal handle on my facebook page btw. Some people!

These new planes are available to order on our website now. Batches will be coming through production to satisfy orders.

Looks great.

What was the reason behind making it in bronze than the same material as the other planes?

It looks great and I like the new colour......but the Clifton jack I bought should have been my favourite plane but I'd sooner swing around the weight of my no6 record. The Clifton just didn't feel comfortable in comparison. I'd love to buy the Clifton block but I can't see it performing better than the much cheaper quangsheng for a fraction of the price- believe me I'd like to think different !

Back