Brewers Pitch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srs

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I know that this is more than a little in the long grass but would anyone here know any suppliers of brewers pitch, I've been asked to make a copy of a tudor wooden staved tankard which according to the information I have found was pitched on the inside to make it waterproof.

Cheers for any help

Simon

Hi Simon

You could try a company called "Traditional Materials" - they do all sorts of wierd stuff for restoration/repro/film set. The list Brewer's Pitch in the price list at £10 / 500gm. Personally I reckon it makes the beer taste a bit funny, but so does the alternative which is deodourised beeswax. So I'll stick to glass pint mugs, ta!

Scrit

PS Just wondered if you'll end up with black marks around your mouth if you use this stuff - like the "rings of confidence" you got round the neck and wrists after riding (motorbikes) in the rain in a black Barbour jacket?

The black mark problem is prevented by not pitching the top 1/2 inch, I had looked into beeswax but the long term problem with that is its prone to cracking with could leave you with an embarrassing puddle in your lap. Also bees wax fell out of favour in the late 1400 hundreds as pitch was more reliable.

Cheers for the link I will have a chat with them unless I can find someone who sells in bulk.

Simon

srs":3u5elduf said:
Cheers for the link I will have a chat with them unless I can find someone who sells in bulk.
:shock: :shock:

What are you making down there, a batch? Thought you were only making the one. Found these people yonks ago when I was looking for something completely different......... I think thhey call it butterfly mind...... :lol:

Scrit

I'm makeing one to start with however knowing who I'm makeing this for one will just not be enough so in the long run I may have to buy it by the bucket. (you should see some of the other strange requests I get from these people)

Simon

Now I know that this is more than a little in the long grass but would anyone here know any suppliers of brewers pitch, I've been asked to make a copy of a tudor wooden staved tankard which according to the information I have found was pitched on the inside to make it waterproof.

Cheers for any help

Simon
Hello Simon, my name is Davey, and I wondered if you found somewhere in the UK that sells BREWER's PITCH?. I am looking for some to waterproof a leather canteen I made. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Kindest regards, Davey. 'The Jacobite Hiker' https://www.youtube.com/@thejacobitehiker

Hi David, many long years since the above contributors have been on the forum.
Perhaps start a new thread in the Off Topic board, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back