Breadmaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lons, that is a genius gadget. I was only thinking this morning (as I cut fresh bread for the hungry horde waiting for their bacon butties) that I am the ONLY person in this family who can cut bread straight! Is there a gene for cutting bread straight that is dying out? Happily, it turns out that there is a gizmo to take care of that, so at least that's one less thing to worry about :)

Cut it as you would a tenon: do each of the three sides as a shallow cut to get the lines straight, then go deep. Short strokes to not pull the slice apart.

How hard could it be? Greeks never use a breadboard, table or a bread knife, but somehow manage it with loaf clutched to the breast, and a tiny plastic-handled table-knife, sometimes sharp. I'm not an expert at that technique

Mostly I'm content with baker's bread, but what I have never found over here is proper French bread - the things sold as baguettes here (UK) are, except in shape, quite unlike the versions sold in France. Crispy crust, big bubbles ('open crumb' in the jargon) and lasting for only a few hours before staling - not a problem as they get eaten so quickly!
I have made bread in this style but it's not easy because it needs very high hydration (70-75%) which gives a sloppy dough which is difficult to manipulate. If anyone knows a way of replicating this style easily (either by by hand or machine) I'd love to know.
Robin.

Back to the paddle debate.
Our Kenwood gives a bleep after the final fling of the paddle, so we lift the lid, push the dough to one side and remove the paddle. Close the lid and wait 'til the end of the programme.
Brian

Tried and failed to post this rye recipe a couple of days ago on the other thread:
2.5 tsp dried yeast,
500g rye flour,
2 tbsp honey,
3 tbsp oil,
2 tsp salt,
430ml water.
If you don't have a rye setting I think a French bread setting might work. It doesn't need to be kneaded for more than 15 minutes then needs a long proving before baking.
Keep your yeast in the fridge for best results and make sure your water isn't too cold.

If you want a sourdough starter take 40g organic white flour and mix with 40ml water (let water stand for an hour to get rid of the chlorine which will otherwise kill your wild yeasts).
Put the mix in a warm (28 deg C) place overnight. Next day add 40g flour, 40ml water, repeat on 3rd and 4th days by which time it should get bubbly and smell a bit beery. There are a few good recipes online from there on.
HTH
Tris

I have been making white bread successfully 3 times a week with a Kenwood Chef for over 5 years and using fresh yeast from Sainsbury but lately things are going wrong.
My dough comes off the Chef sticky.
Sainsbury yeast, (tried hovis yeast and same problem) 25grms
Allison strong white flour 500grms.
300mls water (200 cold, 100hot)
2 tsps gran. sugar
1/2 tsp salt.
Tbl spoon Sunflower oil.

Is there a change in flour supplies lately?
prove in oven at 50C for 30 minutes then bake at 190C for 30 mins and bread lasts us 2 days.

Anyone else having trouble with sticky dough please?

I don't mind the hole, on the whole. Only when I make toast is it a problem, as the melted butter (NOT marge) escapes! :lol:

I can remove the paddle, but only for cleaning, or changing, (there is another sort of forked paddle on my machine, but what it's really for I dunno!) Mine happens to have stuck in the container, so I have to clean by soaking the container for a while. It serves so no problems.

John (hammer)

chaoticbob":2hmwu65q said:
Mostly I'm content with baker's bread, but what I have never found over here is proper French bread - If anyone knows a way of replicating this style easily (either by by hand or machine) I'd love to know.
Panasonic has two recipes for French with menu #9. The French recipe takes 6 hours (a white loaf is normally 3 hours) and produces a (very good) crusty white bread that has open structure (big bubbles) which they describe as "crispy crust and texture". The finished product is very good but stands taller than a similar white loaf so doesn't fit in our toaster (and there's no option for M,L or XL or lighter/darker). The recipe uses more butter and no sugar however it's probably owes more to the program changing than just the ingredients.

The Rustic French uses a mixture of white, wholemeal and Rye flour and uses the same menu program. Other "Rustic" recipes manage to change the appearance e.g. Rustic Artisan (makes exactly as the name suggests). There's also Rustic Scone and Rustic Sourdough. The latter takes over 24 hours and is a two stage process to make a loaf (I need more time to try all these out), next on my list is Ciabatta and Italian bread (and variations of these that add extra ingredients e.g. sun-dried tomatoes and parmesan).

For some recipes the fruit and nut dispenser isn't used for all the extra ingredients, so it's not completely automated and the extra "runny" additions have to be added during the process - seems fair enough. So it's a (mostly) automated (intelligent) bread maker.

So chaoticbob! The French sticks I get from my local Nisa store aren't authentic?
They taste just the same as the ones I bought in France last time I was there. Yum!

I know they aren't made in France, but they are delicious, and if one doesn't get there before the kids go to school; well go without old chap! :lol:

There is a guy on the 'tube who makes French style baguettes, and it takes a long time. According to the comments they taste fine. Just as an Arbroath Smokey would if you use the right species, and adopt the proper technique in the next town along!
Now I am going to find out how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg!

John 8)

gog64":3qweuic8 said:
Lons, that is a genius gadget. I was only thinking this morning (as I cut fresh bread for the hungry horde waiting for their bacon butties) that I am the ONLY person in this family who can cut bread straight! Is there a gene for cutting bread straight that is dying out? Happily, it turns out that there is a gizmo to take care of that, so at least that's one less thing to worry about :)

I slice new bread straight by using an electric carving knife. They get the job done, no matter how fresh the loaf. They also slice meat paper thin if you wish.

Someone mentioned that the slices are too big to fit a toaster. Really? just cut the slices in half! Is that magic or is that magic? :mrgreen: No sarcasm intended whatsoever. :wink:

I am thoroughly happy with my Panasonic Bread-maker!

John :D

Benchwayze":1jkb0g0m said:
I slice new bread straight by using an electric carving knife. They get the job done, no matter how fresh the loaf. They also slice meat paper thin if you wish.

Someone mentioned that the slices are too big to fit a toaster. Really? just cut the slices in half! Is that magic or is that magic? :mrgreen: No sarcasm intended whatsoever. :wink:

We used to have one of those John, they were all the rage in the 80s, threw it out last year I think. :)

If we have a loaf thats too large my missus just cuts it in half then cuts it the other way and fits the toaster perfectly.

Lons,

I like the large loaf. Living alone as I do, I suppose I should make the smaller loaves, but I have a freezer of course, so I do what your good lady does, and make them into 'tins'. I freeze one and eat the other. Saves making every day.

I can't resist eating the heel when the bread has just cooled a little, and smother it with butter! I also take a full slice, halve it and toast it; smother that with butter and sandwich spread. Delicious!

There is little tastier than a salad sandwich, with plenty of ham, on home made bread, and 'seasoned' with pickled cucumber; which takes only an hour or so to pickle; sans peel BTW.

I love my bread-maker! :lol:

Exactly the same John, I like bread a little too much really, don't like pickle so my missus says my sarnies are boring, :lol: The heel is delicious and like you all I do is butter it.

I don't think the bread tastes the same out of the freezer somehow but it's great toasted.

As a type 2 diabetic I am not supposed to eat too much starch. I realise bread is fattening, so I just take it easy, but the metformin I take daily helps process the starch and insulin excess, so it's a case of sense and sensibility!

I am losing weight without too much trouble, so at my age I don't sweat it! Agree about the frozen bread, but it's still whacks store bought!

The pickled cucumber is best in white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar. Leave up to a few days in glass in the 'fridge. You can add chopped scallions, sliced peppers, red onions and sling in a few peppercorns too.

Put it this way, I am looking forward to getting home so I can get in my kitchen again!

Looks like you have it all sussed John, hope you get back to normal soon

best wishes
Bob

gog64":64m47ugd said:
When I first started I tried the smaller loaves (as bread making addiction goes) and then "gravitated" to the bigger ones. Of course, as the size increases it's only the height that increases. Consumption stabilised (my families needs) too.

My only interest in making the bigger loaf was to minimise the "interaction" e.g. adding the ingredients. But after "chewing the 'fine' crust over - I thought "enough!" - I like making Panasonic bread so let's make more rather than less e.g. more interactions.

Making only the M e.g. small loaf - fits perfectly in the toaster (French loaves aside) and is not too high for the slicing machine (perfect)!

Cutting it in half makes the slicing more difficult (crumbs) - it's more fragile in one direction (more rejects to "tidy up")! So (on reflection) choosing the size does affect what happens afterwards. So now I'm attracted to the "smaller" ones. (homer)

Back