Bread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half a loaf - made yesterday in our Panasonic

5c910e5a98cd095383a37a379f942f0b.jpg

I normally make a Ciabatta as I'm on a low fibre diet but that one was from a Waitrose pack which turned out nice.

Rod

Incidentally, I use George Wilkinson bread tins. I had several different ones that weren't particularly good, but these are excellent. I've never washed them (and neither has swmbo, which helps :evil: ), which helps. I got them on line, I think they were about a tenner each.

I have Kenwood mixer, my mom also has a Kenwood mixer, hers is from the 1970s, still works great.

The name soda bread reminds me that there's something called soda-buns here, it's a sweet, spongy bread-ish thing, and is made from sour cream. My mom mentioned that when she was a kid, they lost a package of cream in the well where they kept it for cooling as they did not yet have a fridge. Well the next year when cleaning the well they retrieved the package and it wasn't rotten or anything, and they made the best sodabuns ever from it.

The recipe
4 eggs
150 ml sugar
200 ml sour cream
50 ml cream
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
315 g flour
50 g melted butter

This is a modern recipe using store bought sour cream, when we made this at home we just used left over expired cream. You mix this together like pancake batter and fry it the same. We use a traditional "plättlägg" to fry these in but any skillet will do:

ysb6cb4.jpg

edit: last year I was on a banh-mi making binge around winter, very ncie bread, but lots of effort.
12270650565_1fd1b8154e_b.jpg

I like no knead bread for its simplicity, just toss it in a cast iron dutch oven and it'll be fine.

All you bakers out there - I ordered a load of poppy seed, linseed, sea salt, ginger etc. late in the day on 28th May - it's just turned up.
BuyWholeFoodsOnline.co.uk - worth a look, the P&P isn't bad over a reasonable order and the quality seems fine.

the only bread the wife and i have made is olive and manchego cheese, its lovely lightly griggled with a fresh salad..

Not quite as exotic as cheese and olives but a sourdough with wholemeal, malted & white flour - hand tools only (no power bread maker!).
IMG_1216.JPG

Initial sourdough starter came from Dave123 but will have morphed into my own after over 12 months of feeding. I've just tried drying and freezing some which seemed to work OK but the test will be if I can ressurect it in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 573
phil.p":zgn6tvl6 said:
A little advice for anyone baking bread - pay your money and buy decent quality flour. it's so much nicer. I buy 16kg stoneground wholemeal from Bacheldre Watermill in Wales on Amazon. Lovely stuff, but it needs cutting with a bit of white or it's too coarse. Their mixed seed is very nice if you like fennel.

+1 for Bacheldre Mill bread. We are fortunate enough to live close enough to collect and buy a 25kg sack.

this is the olive and manchego freshly baked tonight, i will sort out the recipe if anyone is interested..

Attachments

• olive.jpg
    olive.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 522
Loving this thread. (hammer)

Glynne any chance of a recipe for your sourdough? I'm keen to try this for myself but a wee bit confused by instructions on the net.

See I live in a barn with a wood burner I light most evenings and understood sourdough type bread could be made in Dutch ovens which would be good as I haven't got an oven. I thought perhaps I could bake my bread on the wood burners hotplate.

FF - I'm not sure whether you mean the recipe for my sourdough starter or the bread itself?

As I mentioned, the original starter came in dried form (from Dave123 - and purportedly originated in the Yukon) and I have grown and feed this with wholemeal flour from Bradshaw's Mill (page 1 of this thread) so it will essentially now be my sourdough now as it will have taken up the wild yeats from the flour I've fed it.
As mentioned, I have dried and frozen some but have yet to see how it resurrects but it should be OK.
If this is what you're after, I'm happy to send you some of the dried starter or I can send some of my live starter as I know that is fine, just let me know and PM me with your address and I'll get some sent off. You'll still need to feed these to make sure they're active and have enough for your recipe.
I tend to feed with 50:50 wholemeal flour & water (by weight) which gives quite a sticky dough but by being consistent, you can adjust bread recipes as you have an idea of the amount of flour and water you're adding with the starter.

In terms of the actual bread, I vary the ingredients but the loaves above were made with: -
White flour 400gm
Malted flour 250gm
Wholemeal flour 250gm

Sourdough starter 100gm (this is roughly 50:50 flour & water and I activate it slightly with some honey ~ 30 mins before mixing)
Yeast (fresh) 30gm (you can use dried but I can get fresh from a local bakery - again I mix this with the water and add a little honey to activate it)
Salt 18gm
Butter 17gm

Water 520gm (you may have to vary this depending on the amount of water in your sourdough starter)

This makes 2 good sized loaves (as per the picture) which lasts very well if you just wrap it in a plastic bag and store at room temperature.

Before everyone shouts foul and says this isn't a proper sourdough loaf, I know it isn't because I've added another yeast.
The problem with using a sourdough starter to raise a dough is that you don't know how much active yeast is actually in your dough and so the loaf could rise in a few hours, or a few days! I have baked the traditional way but it can take for ages so the tip which I've got from 2 professional bakers is to use the sourdough for flavour and ordinary yeast so as you can predict the rise. Additionally, my starter is very strongly flavoured and so I would need to use a lot more if were to be the raising agent and hence the loaf would be very sour. I don't usually go above 200gm in the above ingredients (and reduce the other flour accordingly).

I'd be interested to see how you fare with the Dutch oven as these seemed to be recommended for bread making (I did have to Google that) so let us know.

Back