Bread Board Cheese Board & Stuff

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
A friend popped round last weekend to help with a burst pipe, and he gave me a few off cuts from an Oak kitchen top he'd just fitted.
They'll be perfect for a couple of bread boards I thought, something I'd been meaning to make for a while.

One piece was just the right size, so after the burst pipe was sorted it was off to the shed. All I need to do was give it a good sanding and then set the router table up with a round nose cutter,
which I would use to make a rebate. Once finished I then used a small bearing guided Ovolo cutter to go round all the edges. I know you're wondering what this has to do with the scroll saw,
but please read on :D

After a final sanding and a good rub down in minral oil, I had really nice bread board already for the kitchen.

But then I got to thinking, it would be nice to make another one with a little help from the scroll saw, it'd be rude not to really :)
I haven't cut many letters really, and wasn't sure which font to use, but after seeing a piece Geoff had made he gave me the name, Scroll Beach.
I used this link http://www.scrollsawer.com/techniques/personalized-sports-plaques.html very easy to download with clear instructions.

I spent far too long thinking about the wording, and eventually I decided on Bread & Butter. Not very exciting I know!

After cutting it out, and for some reason it took me a couple of hours, I then decided it was too thick, being around 18-20 mm. I'd never be able to clean the inside of any glue or bread crumbs.
I decided to put it through the bandsaw and I'd then have Bread & Butter on both sides of the board. How wrong I was! As soon as the saw blade reached the letter "R" it ripped it apart,
something I should have guessed really. But no matter, I'd know better for the next one.
I took another piece off Oak off cut and popped it through the thicknesser until it was down to 6mm, a little easier and quicker to cut on the scroll saw, and it would be easier to clean out.
This time, and I know it was lazy of me :) I just went with the one word, "Bread"...Nice and simple.

As these kitchen tops are made up of laminated blocks, the second piece of off cut I used you could see the joints on one side, on the opposite side there was one full length of Oak. So to help
match or balance the board I glued my piece on the side covering the joints.

Here it is clamped up, I left a good overhang so I could trim it flush on the router table. I also used a different cutter for the rebates this time, swopping the round nose for a bearing guided
cove cutter. The bate isn't as deep, but still deep enough to get a your fingers in there.

While I waited for the glue to set it was time for a brew, and a quick look at what patterns I had or something I could make quite quickly. I had a mail shot that morning from Steve Good,
a Phone foot, perfect I thought :) A small off cut of American Red Oak did the trick nicely.

Once the glue was set it was time to put the board through the router and again give it a rub down with some minral oil. But as well as printing the Phone Foot, I also printed off plans for
a cheese board...And here they both are :)

Believe or not there's more :D I reckon it's only right and proper that if you make a bread board you should make a loaf to Christen it, so this morning I popped out for some yeast,
and set about making some dough. In between waiting for the dough to rise I kept popping in and out of the shed while I made a lovely Oak scoop. I could use this for the flour
next time I'm in a baking mood.

And here is the bread and bread board...I let our lass do the honours, and you could see in her eyes she was trying not to mark the board with the knife :D

Hi Pete,
Very nice work , was thinking of making phone holder , wife just been given iPhone from no 1 son . Doing the Pyrography on the edge is a good idea.I had to make extra large boards and burn small carrot and beetroot at one side wish you had posted yesterday :lol:
Jon

"

Very clever stuff, in particular the scrummy looking loaf at the end! looks like a team effort.
Rodders

Great stuff Pete! but did you cut the bread with your bandsaw or table saw? lol only thing missing is a great chunk of cheese for the mouse :cool:
Your going to be very busy making xmas pressies this year
Cheers
Brian

jonluv":dnumahzl said:
Hi Pete,
Very nice work , was thinking of making phone holder , wife just been given iPhone from no 1 son . Doing the Pyrography on the edge is a good idea.I had to make extra large boards and burn small carrot and beetroot at one side wish you had posted yesterday :lol:
Jon

"

Thank you John :) I have to make another phone holder for our lass so she can do a little pyrography on it, she's been practising with the kit I bought for her birthday and she really loves it. I think she'd also
like another scoop making but in a wood that's best suited to pyrography.

blackrodd":dnumahzl said:
Very clever stuff, in particular the scrummy looking loaf at the end! looks like a team effort.
Rodders

Thanks Rodders :) The loaf went down a treat, butter as thick as cheese on it, lovely :)

Claymore":dnumahzl said:
Great stuff Pete! but did you cut the bread with your bandsaw or table saw? lol only thing missing is a great chunk of cheese for the mouse :cool:
Your going to be very busy making xmas pressies this year
Cheers
Brian

Hello Brian :) I think our lass would have used the electric knife if I wasn't in the kitchen. I said afterwards, instead of "Bread", the board should have read, "No Sharp Objects" :)
I fear the pressie making may have start quite soon to give me a head start :D

Woodmonkey":2d3v2g2s said:
Brilliant work Pete, really high quality looking stuff you're making there

Thanks Woodmonkey :) I might have to pick your brains in a couple weeks, once I pick my lathe up.

PeteG":25trig8b said:
Woodmonkey":25trig8b said:
Brilliant work Pete, really high quality looking stuff you're making there

Thanks Woodmonkey :) I might have to pick your brains in a couple weeks, once I pick my lathe up.

Pick away sir! Although there are a lot more experienced turners than me on this forum

Latest posts

Back