Bread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Maskery":1uhekq81 said:
Indeed. All these fancy flours are fine, and indeed excellent, but I wouldn't use any of them on their own. They are additives to improve plain flour.

My favourite blend is 500g flour made up of
About 175 granary
About 175 strong wholemeal
The rest strong white

Nothing fancy about wholemeal Steve. Whole meal as the name suggests, is just grain milled without removing anything.

phil.p":toq2jerr said:
I use two to kilo, so you would have a better rise with a bit more.

Right enough phil. I got a good first rise but not much second time around after an hour sitting in their tins so loaves were a bit dumpy. Thanks for tip will use next time.

Here's one to try that's not difficult -
two loaves -
800gms (stoneground) strong wholemeal
200gms strong white (unbleached, ideally, but not necessarily)
Two cloves of chopped, crushed garlic
two satchets of dried yeast or an ounce of fresh
Salt
Olive oil
500gm carton of passata.

Just add the passata first then make the dough wet enough with added water, no set amount as it varies according to the flour. Drop the temperature 10c and increase the cooking time by 10 mins., as the bread is quite dense. I see no reason why it shouldn't be halved for a machine. I came across this by experimentation and it works really well. Try it with chopped olives as well.

Spelt and Sunflower seed yesterday, from Sainsburys again. Very nice although I did add a little extra yeast "just in case" and it worked well.

Latest posts

Back