Brass inlay (epoxy) - does it stay snot green? :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
I have put some epoxy mixed with brass powder which is currently a dull snot green colour which is not looking fantastic against the walnut.

Does it stay this colour or does it go a nice golden colour when you sand it?
In some places it has sunk a little and looks like it will need a second application - as I didn't do it in a very measured manner am I going to have a hellish time matching colours or does it look pretty much the same what ever concentration of brass powder is added to the epoxy?

Many thanks

Miles

I'm not an expert but i suspect you havent got the ratio right - the snot green comes from the epoxy, more brass powder is indicated i think.

alternately i have heard that you can put pure brass powder into the holes and then dribble in some CA (which being clear doesnt have the snot alike look) - just be careful not to stick yourself to it ;)

When you put it into your recess make sure it is proud as it can shrink a bot. Let it dry overnight and then sand back and it will come up lovely and shiny

Pete

P.S. Make sure that your mix is at least 50/50

OK, well the wretched stuff has sunk a little so I will be able to add more - though in places it is proud of the surface. I put enough in so that the epoxy was quite putty like / dry so hopefully I had something close to 50%.

Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes :)

Miles

Hi Miles,

Yes it does look foul green snot-like until it is sanded.

There is a tendency to have small pin hole bubbles in it but you can fill these with metal powder and a drop of low viscosity superglue.

I find superglue is less hassle if I am only filling small volumes such as voids in burrs.

Using epoxy you need to leave it proud of the final surface as it shrinks. It polishes up nicely as long as there is at least a 50:50 ratio of epoxy to superglue but as you said it was like putty that sounds correct.

Hope this helps,

Mike C

For smallish orifices, fill the hole/gap with the brass powder, ram or pack it in with something metallic (so it doesn't stick to it), but leave it proud.

Then drip thin CA glue into it, capillary action will spread it through the powder.

When cured, sand down to at least 600 or higher and it will shine.

John. B

Sorry to hijack slightly but where does the brass powder come from, or do you have to make it yourself with a file and some brass?

Rob

You can buy different powders, brass, copper, aluminium etc in several places such as Stiles and Bates I have used the filings from a key cutting place but they are more like shavings and give a different texture altogether, They don't look like a solid brass infill

Pete

Have a look at turners retreat, they have all sorts of different infills.

e.g., Metal powders, inlace, spray on suede, costly but effective.

John. B

Woun't brass go dull when exposed to the air. Thought you would have to seal it off some way. To keep it shiny.
John933

After it has been sanded and you have the finish you desire, ie bright and shiny! spray with good quality clear lacquer and it will stay shiny.
John. B

Tried this just the other day .... and clearly didn't put enough brass in! Snot green inclusion in the bowl, maybe slightly brassy! Timely post. thanks

Latest posts

Back