Brad nailer 18G

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
My Dakota (Rutlands) 18G Brad Nailer has been playing up of late, not firing the brads, or at least very inconsistently. Anyone with an expertise in such matters. I have checked the usual suspects, chamber and feed tray for obstructions etc. the firing pin still operates evident by the indentation left on the timber. The brads just don't seem to be feeding through into the firing chamber?? I oil the gun after each use.......Ideas???

If the gun is past it, has anyone any recommendation for a replacement. I was thinking of the Bostitch, any thoughts?

Hi there, I've no ideas what might be the problem with the Rutlands nailer but should you come to replace it, it's worth looking at the Makita, I have one and it does the job beautifully.
Good luck,
T

I bought a Bostitch 18g finish nailer ( air powered ) at the recent Harrogate show. They were selling them off because they had a new model out and the only difference there seemed to be was that the new model had a bump action as well. I don't use it as quick as that ! so the 40% discount was worth it. I am not sure of the model off hand but could have a look if you need to know. Geoff

Geoff, thanks for the input. I have actually resolved the issue, which was caused by a mimiscule burr on the mouth of the magazine housing. I think caused by a misfired nail or imbedded debris. Anyway it was enough to prevent the nail rack from progressing through the magazine.

However since it is Xmas, I did actually buy a new one, two infact, from the States, both Bostitch, an 18G and a Stapler. The two of them were less than the price for the 18G over here. That included the shipping and the pre paid import fees. TotL £87 all in. I'm happy with that.

I know I have bought from the US before ( not woodworking stuff ) and it is worth checking out as some of the items you can't get here anyway. The last item, a Domiplate, came in 2 days and the postage wasn't excessive....worth remembering !

I agree, I am looking at a couple of items now on US ebay, even if the triple in price it would still pay to but even with import duty?? Makes you wonder if we are still Rip-off Britain

tomatwark":1huuia2h said:
I have had the Axminster one for about 6 years with no probs at all and fire 1000's of pins through it.

Tom
Sounds like value for money, I just like the option of having spares available should I need them rather than trash it.

The thing that is likely to go is the nail bar, Axminster have this on the web site as a part so you could always buy a couple as back up when you buy the gun.

Tom

I had to brad nailer brake in the same day recently, both with a broken firing pin. I brought a bostich to replace and very happy with. It was a refurbished one from eBay £33.

Latest posts

Back