Braces?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting machine no doubt, but i wonder whether the handle actually
turns through 360 degrees, it is difficult to see why you would have a
kind of crankshaft there unless something we can't see is happening. :?

have you actually rotated it and discovered whether it works???

obviuosly some kind of stomach dril, but as you say for what.
i would guess with all the gears, it is for metal, maybe it is for
putting the curtains up outside a panzer tank :lol: :lol: :lol:

where and how do we manage to find these old things, and
that's only the tools not us on the site :twisted: :twisted:

paul :wink:

interesting to know, so it is a high speed device, but wonder what the
big box on the front is for, a level perhaps?

have to think that with such gearing. it is designed to make a
big drill easier to use i think.

Well the bit that the ebay one has looks like a mounting bracket, could fix it to a bench then you could use it to power a grinder.
The big round bit on the front I take to be a flywheel, looking at the gears that would appear to run at high speed so would help to keep what ever it is turning rotating at a steady speed.

Maybe not curtains for the panzer, how about driving a pump to refuel?

I know that I would get into trouble bringing it home..................

So you don't know what its for? So why did you buy it? :roll: :wink:

So you don't know what its for? So why did you buy it?

DaveL

Verrrrry goood question...

For £1.50 I just had to have a play with it and try to find out more about it.
Spot on re the flywheel on the front; IMHO it is definitely a drill not a grinder, but for what I have know idea.

Where are Scrit and BB who I am relying on now that Alf the Omnipotent has given up :p :p (mind you Alf, full marks for unearthing the other one, I was gobsmacked!)
Regards
martin

Is this a six penny brace?

10002-6penny.jpg

Mah and friends,

'Made in Germany' implies made in Germany... post WW2, but prior to the cold war.

Prior to WW2 things were made in 'Deutschland' or similar ('Deutsches Reich').

Immediately after WW2 things were 'Made in Germany'... though not much of this quality.

During the cold war things were 'Made in West Germany' (or in the BRD... or 'DDR' for east germany).

Post 'Wende' (re-unification... both misnomers), things are 'Made in Germany'.

These 'rules' are not hard... so anything is possible. I have taken the liberty of posting one of the pics on the german forum; there are many great 'Grufties' on that great site. I will post back as soon as I get any info.

Greetings from a dull but still sweltering Munich.

CONGER - The Irish diaspora in Munich.

Roger Nixon":3dccm17a said:
Is this a six penny brace?
I bow to someone else's superior knowledge, but no, I don't think so. Sixpenny braces seem to need the big pad, more of a curvy frame and the chuck doesn't seem to be as elegantly shaped as that one. Reckon that could be a shilling brace... :lol:

Good man, Conger; we await in hope with finger's crossed. :)

Cheers, Alf

@Conger:

'Made in Germany' implies made in Germany... post WW2, but prior to the cold war.

Prior to WW2 things were made in 'Deutschland' or similar ('Deutsches Reich').

Immediately after WW2 things were 'Made in Germany'... though not much of this quality.

During the cold war things were 'Made in West Germany' (or in the BRD... or 'DDR' for east germany).

Post 'Wende' (re-unification... both misnomers), things are 'Made in Germany'.

These 'rules' are not hard... so anything is possible. I have taken the liberty of posting one of the pics on the german forum; there are many great 'Grufties' on that great site. I will post back as soon as I get any info.

Hi Gerald,

the term "Made in Germany" is quite old and was in use long before WW1. Hence, a product labelled "Made in Germany" may also be from times before WW1.

Guckst Du hier: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_Germany

Ottmar has posted a reply upon your inquiry that, however, doen't reveal too much detailed information. According to him it is at least a drill and not a grinder or a machine gun.

BTW, funny postings here regarding this tool! :D
@Evergreen: As I geologist I can say that I never have seen a tool like this for drilling rock, but who knows...
engeneer one's assumption that this tool was perhaps used for putting the curtains up outside a panzer tank maybe is the best!

Regards
Philipp

Mah and friends,

My colleagues on the german WWWWW forum came up trumps... and as life is, it is all different to what I suggested... seems like I spoke through my A&%$E... although there are still some points that require confirmation.

Here is a loose translation of what Ottmar wrote:

The driller (yes, it IS a driller) was manufactured ca. 1900... although it confuses me that the text is peculiarly 'un-german', both in form (Altdeutscheschrift) and content.

The 'handle' can be rotated in one direction, or used as a ratchet. The direction in which the bit rotates can be reversed and the transmission ratio changed by moving the cogwheels around. The example pictured is unusual, as the 'handle' has a counter-balancing weight (presumably for those who twist the handle at more than 1000RPM!). The chuck accomodates 'square' ended bits, which were apparently 'normal' at that time... I wonder if these are the same as the type that fitted into my Dads (long gone) brace?

Viele Gruesse... -gerard-

Hi Philipp and friends... I do not scold, nor do I want to get 'political' (least of all me), but I feel that it is high time that the somewhat outdated militaristic view of the 'german' (Deutsche Michel, Kraut, Hun, Fritz) should be abandoned. Germany is a country that has steered clear of war for the past 60 years (after two dispicable attempts to dominate europe)... that is more than can be said of several of Germanys european neighbours!

I personally believe that this 'tool' was especially designed to revitalise beer in barrels that have been left standing too long at Oktoberfest. As this almost never happens (beer standing around too long!), I believe that the inventor sought different applications... could not find any... and took the route taken by so many others... he offered it on EBAY!

-gerard-

looking again more carefully at the photos, i think the ratchet is tied in with the crankshaft, and the split pinned shaft, which relates to the
flywheel at the front.

i would guess that if you move the shaft where the split pin is, the
drive mechanism might then click into a ratchet capability.

since it is almost certainly a "belly brace", you wonder what its actual
use was. obviously the "brace" was held to one side or the other and
then the turning hand would make it work. i would guess it was rather
like the old joke about rubbing your belly, and your head with
different hands and in different rotation, a difficult skill to learn.

actually i wonder whether it was something used in ship building
or repairs?

as for the jokes conger you are right, but 3 major european conflicts
within less than one hundred years of each other do give people
pause for thought. the economic miracle since 1946 was spectacular,
but must be placed into the context.

as for the jokes conger you are right, but 3 major european conflicts
within less than one hundred years of each other do give people
pause for thought. the economic miracle since 1946 was spectacular,
but must be placed into the context.

paul :wink:[/quote]

Paul,

maybe I missed something in school. just for my curiosity when did we start the 3rd major european conflict.

Bernhard

Not sure we can even find two. More like one with a 20 year break at half time - with the "winners" helping to guarantee a second half unfortunately. :roll:

But hey, there was a topic in here some place, wasn't there?

Cheers, Alf

OK, back on topic.
Here is another type of brace for tight quarters

gpbrace1.JPG

This is a Goodell-Pratt angle brace.

OT i know, but the first one was 1860's the expansion of the
prussian empire all the way to the gates of paris.

back ot, and i must try to find a photo of the gun used by my old man
for drilling to inlay lead in stone.

Latest posts

Back