Braces?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be something in the air... :lol:

Remembered I'd forgotton the almost-famous Bit Extension too , although the chances of anyone here seeing one of those is slight. (Cue Philly and/or Martin to say they got theirs for 50p... :roll: )

Cheers, Alf

Who's got most of her braces free with something else :whistle: :lol:

Alf":ir50pp0i said:
Mr_Grimsdale":ir50pp0i said:
Well the sole isn't perfectly flat but I sharpened it, tightened the cap iron by bending it slightly, closed the mouth a bit, candle wax the sole. 20 mins work altogether and hey presto it works perfectly and is a pleasure to use.
Yebbut, Jacob, you have years of experience and know what you're aiming for. A newbie with no-one to guide them can spend hours and hours and still not get the important stuff right. That's if they don't give up after the first hour anyway. Saying it's a 20 minute job is, IMO, as unhelpful as suggesting it's a finicky 4 hour task. Fundamentally there is no one-size-fits-all solution, which is why the question turns up so often, and why the responses are often so multitudinous and varied.

Especially when newbies (such as myself) tend to buy a bunch of planes (that need fettling) all at once. Fettling one plane isn't nearly as intimidating as fettling twenty. If it weren't for vendors like LV and LN, I might have taken an A2 blade to the throat already out of sheer frustration.

Alf":1k4p10cw said:
Must be something in the air... :lol:

Remembered I'd forgotton the almost-famous Bit Extension too , although the chances of anyone here seeing one of those is slight. (Cue Philly and/or Martin to say they got theirs for 50p... :roll: )

Err. Galootaclaus and 50p respectively...

The latter was recent, and was a VERY rusty Skinner.

Fortunately the extension body is "OK", and the chuck and jaws are destined to be replaced. Skinner braces are quite common, and I'm assuming (hah!) the chucks are interchangeable.

BugBear

Mr_Grimsdale":3g5aupcu said:
Anyway Deidre; as a 'newbie' what on earth are you up to buying 20 decrepit planes at a time? Surely asking for trouble in IMHO! Why didn't you raise a mortgage and buy 20 new LNs instead?

Well, you know, around here you could buy ALL of LN (the entire company) for the price of a house. ;)

I think one of my problems was really not knowing what to look for when buying vintage, especially when there's so few local sources of vintage tools. I *now* know where they are, but didn't when I needed them.

While it's a diversion, I've now got eight bench planes, three spokeshaves, two block planes, two scrubs, and 15 other planes (including a Stanley 45 and a 46). I've sold several planes, including a pair of new Stanley block planes I'd tuned.

Just call me a sucker for gizmosity, especially gizmos like the Stanley 48.

bugbear":10yr13b3 said:
Alf":10yr13b3 said:

Err. Galootaclaus and 50p respectively...

The latter was recent, and was a VERY rusty Skinner.
Gott in himmel... ](*,)

drills.jpg

The object in the bottom of this picture is a Greenlee 18" bit extension still in the original wrapper. I don't know how much I paid for it because it came with the 2 Stanley 923 braces (8" & 12"), a boxed set of Greenlee Irwin pattern bits, an expansion bit, countersink and spare unopened #6 bit. IIRC, I paid $20 for the lot.

North American bit extension purchases for laughable amounts don't count :p

Tsk, shiny braces. Whatever next? Wooden planes without cracks...? :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":12tcfrux said:
North American bit extension purchases for laughable amounts don't count :p

Tsk, shiny braces. Whatever next? Wooden planes without cracks...? :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I am constantly surprised that some tools which are very common here are scarce there. My romantic notion of GB is that it is the mother of our North American woodworking traditons, everyone has a Graham Blackburn or David Charlesworth in the family and antique hand tools are everywhere. :lol:

Wooden planes get cracks??

Roger Nixon":6g50ez36 said:
I am constantly surprised that some tools which are very common here are scarce there.
Well maybe they're there but we can't find 'em for the thick layer of infill planes and brass-backed saws... :roll: :lol:

Got a David Charlesworth mint in box in a cupboard somewhere; been in the family for ages. Even has the accessories; Stanley #5 1/2, 6" steel rule, emery boards... Think it might even be the talking one, hang on... Yeah, says here "Pull the string to activate classic phrases such as 'Never on chisels, please', 'You cannot produce a a fine shaving without a flat sole' and 'See page 15 of my first book' (Page number may vary)" :wink:

I'll just go now, before David sees this... 8-[ Sorry, Mr. C :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Just say it's not only the planes that are cracked round here...

Ya know, Alf, I'd buy one of those talking DC's. :lol:

My wife was given a "Mr. Perfect" doll as a gift. Squeeze his hand and he says things like "You're going shopping by yourself? Why don't I tag along and carry your bags?" "Actually, I don't know where I'm going. I'll just pull over here and ask directions."

Alf":vg0h4efx said:
Got a David Charlesworth mint in box in a cupboard somewhere; been in the family for ages. Even has the accessories; Stanley #5 1/2, 6" steel rule, emery boards... Think it might even be the talking one, hang on... Yeah, says here "Pull the string to activate classic phrases such as 'Never on chisels, please', 'You cannot produce a a fine shaving without a flat sole' and 'See page 15 of my first book' (Page number may vary)" :wink:

I'll just go now, before David sees this... 8-[ Sorry, Mr. C :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Just say it's not only the planes that are cracked round here...

Snarf! I lost my morning coffee with that.

I think you forgot, "That board was flat a minute ago!" (One of my favorite lines from a video of his. Note to self: if borrowing a plane to try from DC, make sure you keep the board flat.)

You all have made me realize that I haven't even begun to approach the brace slope yet. I have my first eggbeater and Yankee push drill arriving soon. We have two braces, but uncharacteristically, I have no idea what they are.

Back on page three, there was a picture of a bit with a split or forked end, I was curious what it is actually used for. I ask because I have one and have pondered this many times, well I wondered when I bought it actually for a a dollar, along with two other obviously screwdriver bits.

Would it possibly be for tightening or removing split nuts in saw handles?

Mittlefehldt":1sywyjl3 said:
Back on page three, there was a picture of a bit with a split or forked end, I was curious what it is actually used for. I ask because I have one and have pondered this many times, well I wondered when I bought it actually for a a dollar, along with two other obviously screwdriver bits.

Would it possibly be for tightening or removing split nuts in saw handles?
It would - and any other similarly designed bolt.

Deirdre, definitely don't borrow a plane from DC - chances are it'll also involve borrowing his bench too so you'd better be prepared to plane on tiptoe. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Roger, unfortunately talking DCs lose their voice under North American conditions unless you buy the additional throat pastel accessories. Try Ebay. :wink:

Hey, wasn't this topic about braces?...

fray.jpg

Fray Spofford-type braces are quick 'n' easy to change bits with...and besides, the pewter rings holding the wrist handles on are a nice touch.

For any project, if one relies on braces and associated bits, it is helpful to have a variety of braces to hold the various bits for the project. So lets see. That would be about 20 of the things...slip slidin' away.

Take care, Mike

bugbear":329ehdc3 said:
MikeW":329ehdc3 said:
Fray Spofford-type braces are ...
Not seen very often in the UK #-o
BugBear
Bummer. They are handy. Not made for great torque, though. Well, one should really use the larger ones for larger bits. I busted one working on the cabin. It had survived a hundred years of family use--and then I go and have a boneheaded moment. Well, seeing how they can break, best they were rarely taken there... :lol:

But then, y'all have all those lovely Sheffield braces available...

Take care, Mike

Hah, all the Spoffords must be under the layers of infills, brass-backed saws and Ultimatum braces we haven't dug through yet, right next to the bit extensions! :lol:

Hey Mike, how d'you folks do for "sixpenny" aka German, Common Ball or Thumbscrew braces? Alas they're usualy priced a good deal higher than sixpence these days; managed to get mine cheaply 'cos it needed a new thumbscrew. :wink: 5" sweep electrician's braces are common here too but I dunno if the same applies to North America? The bottom of these two belonged to my grandfather; just about the only tool I've inherited. Very handy little devil.

braces.JPG

Cheers, Alf

Back