Boxwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergroundhunter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys n gals,

I'm after a small quantity of boxwood 25mmx15mmx150mm minimum. If any of you have seen my thread about the Mosley plane you will know why I want it :wink: . I have looked at old rules as suggested but I would need to laminate 2 or 3 leaves together and I'd rather not if I can help it. All I can seem to find it pen turning blanks that are not long enough, can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Matt

It might be worth a careful, close examination of the remaining boxing on the plane. Some planemakers aligned the grain of the boxwood approximately parallel with the iron, to avoid short-grain around the mouth, and present harder-wearing end-grain on the working surface of the sole. If that's the case on yours, you may have to laminate several pieces into a sort of 'flight of stairs' and cut the new boxing piece from that - a procedure that follows traditional practice.

I have some substantial lumps of English box, let me know the size of the section you need and I will post to you, just send me the cost of postage when you get it

Stuart":1dnqixaq said:
I have some substantial lumps of English box, let me know the size of the section you need and I will post to you, just send me the cost of postage when you get it

Thank you for your kind offer, I will send you a PM.

Cheshirechappie":1dnqixaq said:
It might be worth a careful, close examination of the remaining boxing on the plane. Some planemakers aligned the grain of the boxwood approximately parallel with the iron, to avoid short-grain around the mouth, and present harder-wearing end-grain on the working surface of the sole. If that's the case on yours, you may have to laminate several pieces into a sort of 'flight of stairs' and cut the new boxing piece from that - a procedure that follows traditional practice.

I have checked the grain orientation and its aligned long grain to the sole.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys. The generosity of some members is amazing on this forum.

Matt

undergroundhunter":9n5h21zz said:
Cheshirechappie":9n5h21zz said:

I have checked the grain orientation and its aligned long grain to the sole.

Matt

That'll make the job a bit easier!

Hi Matt
I will cut the timber and post tomorrow evening, can you let me have an address to post to?
You could pay by sending me the cost of postage in 1st class stamps, they are always useful.
Stuart

Back