Boxes - for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Established Member
Reaction score
started with this from a few scraps of boxwood,ebony,palisander and rosewood

before settling down to this from boxwood,lignum vitae and ebony

both boxes are hollow with a 12mm mouth and intending for carrying sweetner tabs

critique welcome
Ta

Look great but, as always, I don't like to go to an external site when I want to look at bigger pictures so I only saw the first one full size.

Not so sure about the wood combination on the first one (colour contrast/blend, might just be the colour cast in image) but the jointing looks tight and it possibly has the look of a art deco 1920-30s. scent bottle in the flesh.

The second one I think looks better balanced and more sophisticated, both have needed care and good dimensional control.

I like the second the most. I think that the first one uses too many combinations of different woods which jar a little on the eye and I much prefer the shape of the stopper on the second one. I also really like the design of little birds on the second one - did you pyrograph these on? The second box is very elegant and from the photos looks to be very well made and finished. However, both must have been quite complicated to make!

In terms of practicality - you say these are intended for carrying sweetening tablets about. My first thought is that both stoppers are far too pointy to ride comfortably in a pocket - especially a trouser pocket! However, if intended to go in a handbag this would matter less. I hope the stoppers are a good tight fit as well and won't come out in transit!

The only other thing is whether you have tested the sweetening tablets with the wood you've used. Lignam vitae in particular is a very oily wood and I'd want to be sure there won't be a reaction between the wood and the intended contents which could result in a gooey mess inside the box!

The first one was intended as a test piece made with off cuts that I had.
I realised that just a round box with clean joints was not as attractive, hence the lip for the transition from boxwood to lignum. Also I felt that the box needed to look complete even without the stopper.
The birds are ebony inlay.
As regards the wood reacting with its contents - will have to just try it and see :)

I think they both look great! I like the first one, but I love the second one =D> =D> =D>

Latest posts

Back