Box lids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Nott

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a box to hold the million little peices that came with a dovetail jig. I want to be able to remove the lid completely, so not hinged.
Couldn't do the trick of sawing halfway through the sides before assembly, as the corners are box joints, not mitres, so a gap would show a the corners.

So, the way forward seems to be gluing in a thin lining on the inside. Is there any natural or man-made law that this has to be on the box (so the lid fits over it) rather than the lid?

Why not use two pieces of material for the lid, the top piece the overall size of the box and the smaller piece just less than the internal size, glue the two together and drop into place.
Brian

Thanks brihol but the lid has sides as well - it's not just a flat piece of wood

So what size is the box?
Is the box to be a decorative piece?
If unassembled at the moment, you might get away with a sliding lid like a pencil box, or if assembled glue in tracks to make a sliding lid possible or add tracks to top lip of box.

Hi,

Is the box glues up yet? if not cut a rebate where it splits and then glue a strip of wood the same size as the rebate in either the top or base.

Pete

Tim

No, there is no law to say that a lining has to be in the box as opposed to in the lid. However the problem is, depending on what was in the box, the lid may foul on the contents and not fit correctly. If you line the box, the contents are already inside the lining and the lid will always fit (unless you over fill it).

Hope that helps

Bob

Ok so either the top or the bottom has a rebate running all the way around inside. Depending on the box contents and their freedom to move, if the rebate is in the inside of the bottom, then contents may encroach into the rebate making it difficult to fit the lid. I would go for the rebate being on the outside of the bottom. Therefore the lid has the inner rebate.

HTH
xy

Thanks all - the box has removable trays and fixed partions, so a lining on the lid won't cause problems. So I'm going that way. Pix when finished!

Back