Bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

A few bowls x 4, and various angles/pics thereof.

Ash, and spalted beech.

the largest is 350mm dia x 120 high and the smallest being 280dia x 140.

Take care

STA70741_800x592.jpg

STA70743_800x555.jpg

STA70744_633x600.jpg

STA70745_800x473.jpg

STA70746_800x554.jpg

STA70747_800x541.jpg

STA70748_800x577.jpg

STA70749_800x584.jpg

STA70750_800x553.jpg

STA70751_761x600.jpg

Seems almost odd seeing these come from your workshop Mark but the same consistent quality and deceptive simplicity.

pete

I love these bowls.
The first ash bowl has a rim like I have been using lots of late and that particular style seems to be getting lots of positive comment.
I particularly like the spalted bowl for the grain, shown to great effect.
The thin rounded 3rd bowl though gets my first prize for perversion. I would sit and fondle that for ages!
My wife tells me I should get a life!
Cheers
Colin

Lovely bowls Mark :D
Those edges look razor sharp.
I like the way you have lined the growth rings up on the 4th piccy :wink:

Excellent work as ever Mark!

Am I right in thinking that you use a buffing system to achieve that finish? Are they oiled and buffed, or is there more to it?

Cheers

Aled

Hi all

Thank you very much for your comments.

Colin

At least fondling the bowl will get you into a lot less trouble :D :D

Paul

Thanks I am glad you noticed that I had lined the rings up. well observed.

Aled

I buff all of my work with the chestnut system.

The spalted beech bowls have been sanded to 320 grit. The cellulose sanding sealer applied, then buffed. then finished with microcrystaline wax.

The ash bowls have had the same treatment on the outside with the inside being buffed without cellulose, with chestnut food safe finish being applied.

that is all there is to it. The buffing system is so goo that I finish all of my polished work with it now. saves a lot of time not having to sand down to 600 grit. Plus less expense on the abrasives and excellent consistent finish every time.

Beautiful forms Mark

When the shape is right and its perfectly executed nothing else is needed.

Your photography is improving with the subtle lining up of growth rings.

Keep them coming, its inspirational.

Regards,

Mikec

I don't know what to say about these bowls anymore, it seems that words don't capture my feelings well enough, I'll just try and turn a few of my own that can hopefully capture a small percentage of the simplicity and beauty of yours :)

Lee & Al

Thank you very much for your comments.

While I am obviously pleased that you hold my work in such regard which is very kind of you, but we are all beginners, just at different levels of beginnerness ( if there is such a word)

Obviously I have been turning for nearly 11 years now the last 3-4 full time so the only difference between myself and you both is that I have more time at the lathe.

Also I took into turning the same characteristic that I had driven into me as a young lad. That was to do your best and keep on trying.

I believe that anyone with attention to detail and patients can achieve what they want within turning. At least I hope this is true or I will not get to where I want to go.

Refinement for me never ends I will always try to better each piece. Sometimes I achieve this sometimes not. But for me saying "that is good enough" is failure.

Anyway enough of my philosophy. Just keep at it and thank you again for making my head a little bit bigger.

my fav is pic no 5 - for shape
The spalted one is a particularly nice piece of wood

Wish I had a supply of spalted wood like that :(

Hi Mark,

These are fantastic, IMHO, stunning wood, shown to it's best through simple (yet perfectly executed) form, and finished to a high standard!

Keep going like this, Mark, and we'll make a woodturner of you yet :wink:

Malc

Harlequin":6mohkaef said:
my fav is pic no 5 - for shape
The spalted one is a particularly nice piece of wood

Wish I had a supply of spalted wood like that :(

Thank you for your comments.

I am very fortunate as there is a wood yard about 20 mins from me and he has masses of spalted beech just lying around. Together with all the other main native woods at a fraction the cost of a lot of places.

So I count myself fortunate as they even deliver free of charge to me.

Hans and Malc

Hans

thank you for your comments. I am getting there with the photography but often the grain does not line up like this. I wasj ust lucky.

Malc,

thank you

I'm getting there slowly :D

Back