Bowling Ball Mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DannyEssex":1ba7ar2j said:
very nice work there bern, I really like the shape =D> =D>

Thanks Danny
Sort of had an idea of what i wanted and when i got down to this shape i stuck with it ,for the handle i just kept stopping and feeling it until i got it comfortable .

Sheptonphil":1ba7ar2j said:
Berncarpenter":1ba7ar2j said:
Sheptonphil":1ba7ar2j said:
Our local second hand shop has several. but clearly knows the value as he charges £8 each for them. :(

Phil
At £8 still worth getting them Phill

Cheers Bern :D
After seeing what you have created, you have inspired me. I think I will pop in and pick up a couple, not matched and see if I can get a deal. I was also wanting to try a gavel as well. Will post when I've had a go.

Phil

Thanks Phill
Good luck with getting a deal and i'm glad you've been inspired to make one for yourself . I will look out for your post

Dalboy":1ba7ar2j said:
Looks like I am going to have to sweet talk my sister she plays bowls.

Before you do too much sweet talking and getting into sister dept may a good idea to find out if the bowls are timber as i think the modern ones are made of some sort of composite .

kernowjoiner24":1ba7ar2j said:
Very nicely made, lignum is so hard id have thought youd need to give it a serious bashing to make those shakes any worse !

I havent had a chance to try it out yet but i hope your right and it dosnt shatter the first time i use it . thanks for the kind words

Berncarpenter":26o5snvm said:
Before you do too much sweet talking and getting into sister dept may a good idea to find out if the bowls are timber as i think the modern ones are made of some sort of composite .Cheers Bern :D

My son keeps buying me cheap bowls from the car boot and I must admit that I haven't attacked many so far BUT those that I have, have proven to be plastic/resin or similar, chipping and splintering etc. Maybe I'm missing something very obvious, but is there an easy way to differentiate beetween man-made and nuclear generated before I irreversibly deface the bowl?

On the other hand, could a man-made bowl be easily turned to produce a trinket box perhaps?

That is a lovely mallet you have made there, can I ask please how you cut it on the band saw. Did you have to make a jig I have three old B Bs but have not yet had the courage to try and cut them.

Berns

monkeybiter":36xfhkqs said:
Berncarpenter":36xfhkqs said:
Before you do too much sweet talking and getting into sister dept may a good idea to find out if the bowls are timber as i think the modern ones are made of some sort of composite .Cheers Bern :D

My son keeps buying me cheap bowls from the car boot and I must admit that I haven't attacked many so far BUT those that I have, have proven to be plastic/resin or similar, chipping and splintering etc. Maybe I'm missing something very obvious, but is there an easy way to differentiate beetween man-made and nuclear generated before I irreversibly deface the bowl?

On the other hand, could a man-made bowl be easily turned to produce a trinket box perhaps?

Hi Mike
The bowl i had was quite old and you could see some light surface checks but i sanded a small area first just to make sure it was timber before attacking it.

Never tried turning a modern man-made bowl myself , why dont you have a go and let us know how you fair.

inaspin":36xfhkqs said:
That is a lovely mallet you have made there, can I ask please how you cut it on the band saw. Did you have to make a jig I have three old B Bs but have not yet had the courage to try and cut them.

Berns

No jig just rested against a shallow fence , a bit dangerous and i wouldnt recommend this method . You could mount it on the lathe and turn some flats ,I think that would work out better .Hope this helps

Berncarpenter I am aware of the new type being a resin based material and like your self if no obvious signs of being wood give it a quick sand paper

Nice job - I do like reusing wood seems to add something to the finished turning when the wood has history.

Not wishing to hi-jack your thread - this is associated. I know some members of Brevard Woodturners, Florida and one turner - Harvey Driver - has turned a mallet from a 10 pin bowling pin ( don't think they know of crown green bowling in Florida) so if you see any pins at a car boot sales this is an idea.
Pin mallet.JPG

Attachments

• Pin mallet.JPG
    Pin mallet.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,262
ten pins used to be made out of wood but are now composite like everything else. You would need to use care when turning as they have two hollow sections inside which make it spin when knocked over.

I have made a couple almost the same way, apart from turning the handle and jamming on the drilled ball before turning it.

Mine have shakes in and haven't got any worse, if you leave them in the sun they darken very quickly.
Pete

Racers":cy759im7 said:
I have made a couple almost the same way, apart from turning the handle and jamming on the drilled ball before turning it.

Mine have shakes in and haven't got any worse, if you leave them in the sun they darken very quickly.
Pete

That sounds like a better way Pete , no need to make bungs for mounting back in the lathe .

Thanks for the darkening tip although its quite dark now . I think the ball was really old as it has lost that lovely smell you get with LV and there is ivory discs both ends , which i have managed to save. Glad to hear that the shakes will not be a problem i was a bit worried about them.

Lignum Vitae lovely wood to turn , I had a lump I made a small mallet out of , see my thread on Record mallet. Have a word with your local bell ringers, they should use straight grain ash for the stays and they do get snapped off in use, just the thing for tool handles.

Back