Bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

been a while since I posted anything and this is a piece of walnut I was given.

about 10 inch dia x 2.5 inch high.

Finished in renaissance wax

STA70495_800x387.jpg

STA70494_800x439.jpg

STA70496_800x527.jpg

STA70499_800x490.jpg

Very very clean looking. Though I have done a few thin ones I much prefer this sort of thicker look. The slight undercut really works well. How to make something ordinary a thing of beauty.

pete

Really attractive piece Mark, simple form lets the wood do most of the talking.
Much prefer the lightness imparted by undercut rims as opposed to the heavy look of the solid rim small bowl depression pieces much in vogue.

Hi all

Doctor, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I thought I better call it a bowl for fear of being called pretentious. It is an aesthetic piece so not intended to hold anything although the form is recognised as a bowl, so possibly not called a bowl but a vessel or closed form as it curves in at the top. :roll: :D :D

Thank you for your comment, much appreciated.

Pete and Mark

Thank you very much for your comments. I like the wide rim form as you can show off quite a bit more or the wood on the rim and seeing my pieces have no use at all other than to look at this is my main aim.

Slightly off topic Mark so apologies but do you get the " what is it for?" response to things that are purely intended as decorative? I have found that people often want to know that something has a use. One hollow form I have with lot's of natural voids became a spur of the moment potpourri bowl in response to one person's question

Maybe just the market I target, not gallery work I'm afraid. Though I'd love to crack that one.

pete

Hi all

Chas

Thank you. I do not often get excited about a piece of wood but this piece was rather nice. Especially as George gave it to me.

Or did I scrounge it George from the back of your van, that is what normally happens.

Pete

No worries about going off topic, as long as you don't start calling me pretentious, :lol: :lol:

Mostly I have very little contact with the buyers/customers as the galleries do the work for me. I just deliver the items and wait for them to sell. I also think that the gallery environment is a little bit different as people are into the idea of spending on something to add visually to a room etc.

I do tell people that my bowls etc are not designed to have anything put in them, but that if they want to they can.

I use to get ask what a hollow form was for. But not for a long time, again I think perhaps due to where I sell. Most who contact me for commissions like what they see on my web site so I guess already know it is mainly visual items.

Gallery work is in my pinion easier than what you do. once the gallery like your work and they take it they deal with all the rest. I do not have the best people skills so I like working this way.

Yup, another one to add to the, 'I hope I can make something that nice when I grow up' pile.

The shape is beautiful and the finish to the wood allows it to speak for itself.

Hi Mark,

I'm not pretentious, but this is a beautiful lump of black stuff you've went and did, I fink it's well good and aw that, and the lip under the edge bit on this dish it's well barry btw!

It's great to see you back on the forums too, I've really missed your self-centred, unhelpful, couldn't-give-a-s**t attitude towards others :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tee-hee!

What a stunning grain the inside of that bowl has, its lovely Mark,

Back