Bowl gouge. Deep flute

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewf

Established Member
Reaction score
Am looking for bowl gouge to replace my well used and rather short Henry Taylor. Am looking for one that is deep fluted and a U shaped as opposed to the ones that are ground from a round bar. Have looked but not been able to find any.
Any suggestions for makers.

I have both a Robert Sorby and a crown. Both are good bowl gouges I have not yet seen them made any other way other than ground from a solid bar

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Turning ... ouges.html

Traditional Bowl Gouges: We are pleased to offer traditionally shaped gouges from both Henry Taylor Click for photo and Robert Sorby Click for photo. These are supplied with a square across grind and both manufacturers grind their tools from solid High Speed Steel (HSS) bar stock, producing very stiff, robust tools. The Taylor versions feature a U-shaped flute with almost vertical sides giving a high bending stiffness, giving rise to their name of 'Long and Strong (L&S) gouges' whilst Sorby favour a slightly more open flute design which could be claimed to give improved chip clearance.

As far as I know, all modern bowl gouges are made from round bar for strength. Some may have a more U shaped profile compared to the more common V but they're all round bar

There are spindle gouges available forged from a piece of flat HSS into a gentle gouge shape (referred to as continental spindle gouges - best buy quick as I guess not available post brexit), but as has been said above, bowl gouges I've seen have all been machined from round bar for strength.

Incidentally, my 'go to' gouge is the Henry Taylor HS1 if you're after a good work horse with nice flute profile.

S

Thanks for the suggestions. I have one of the newer sort ground from a round bar, unfortunately no one seems to make the sort I'm looking for. Will now have to trawl through eBay looking for the older sort.

Well I finally found an identical Henry Taylor gouge on eBay. Hopefully this will last me a few years before I need to think about looking again.

Andrewf":2j30nryw said:
Well I finally found an identical Henry Taylor gouge on eBay. Hopefully this will last me a few years before I need to think about looking again.
Any chance of a photo / link as I'm still struggling to picture the tool you're describing?

Thanks

S

Hope the picture is clearer. I think that the chisel was forged rather than ground.

Attachments

• rsz_20170920_102429-2.jpg
    rsz_20170920_102429-2.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 1,092
Andrewf":39awjodg said:
Hope the picture is clearer. I think that the chisel was forged rather than ground.

Are you sure that's a Bowl Gouge, the form looks more like a Spindle Roughing Gouge.

Is it a round bar going into the Handle or a Tang ? if the latter then it should not be used on Bowls where end grain is going to be encountered.

post495287.html#p495287
file.php

I wouldn't call that a deep flute nor a bowl gouge (!), but the profile strongly reminds me of Doug Thompson's U profiled bowl gouges, available from http://thompsonlathetools.com/ in the USA.

They come in sizes up to 3/4" (exterior diameter), are made of some of the best steel known to man and have no tang (and no handle).

The U profile can be seen in the picture on the homepage in the bowl gouge 2nd from the left. The first from the left has the V profile.

I knew someone would say that it looks like a roughing gouge. It has a tang as such but that is square and the same diameter as the chisel it's self. When it was purchased many yeàrs ago it was sold as a bowl gouge. I also have a later one of a similar shape from ashley iles.

Andrewf":267xm2bs said:
I knew someone would say that it looks like a roughing gouge. It has a tang as such but that is square and the same diameter as the chisel it's self. When it was purchased many yeàrs ago it was sold as a bowl gouge. I also have a later one of a similar shape from ashley iles.

Ok, unfortunately many folks new to turning looking to pick up tools from boot sales etc. see the exaggerated U shape images described as bowl gouges and can confuse the difference between forged bar stock and modern thick sheet stock with narrow tangs that may be brittle hardened.

Back