Bowl from a plank for critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
As normal I'd love any comments / critique on my challenge bowl which was formed from a single 18mm plank dovetailed with a maple accent.

This is the first time I've done one of these and also the first ever dovetail I'd made and took rather a long time after it flew off the lathe in the middle of cutting the first ring. Being unable to centre the bowl exactly where it was before I had to call a halt to it. I then made a new parting tool which was slightly thicker than the original but not as thick as my normal one (as that would have meant that the rings would probably not have overlapped anymore).
May - Top.jpg

May - bottom.jpg

May - side.jpg

You thoughts?

Thanks

Miles

Attachments

• May - Top.jpg
    May - Top.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 931
  • May - bottom.jpg
    May - bottom.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 931
  • May - side.jpg
    May - side.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 931
Hi Miles

I liked the concept

Whilst accepting that it may be a photography problem, the finish appears slightly lacking.

The slight bulge in the outside profile slightly takes away from the overall effect. Whilst it may have been intended I felt that the side should have been straight, from rim to foot.

This is me being picky to try to be helpful. It doesn't detract from the bowl or the special meaning it carries. I trust Gran was pleased with it.

I thought the concept was extremely interesting and reckon the dovetail form very well done.

For me though, the whole thing doesn't quite hang together somehow, it seems slightly less than the sum of its parts!

Nice idea though. It always seems a bit rotten being slightly negative about something that clearly had a lot of thought and skill put into its creation. I'm waiting for my bowl to be torn apart!!

I was really impressed with this when I saw it, how did you go about construction? I take it that you made the main body by turning concentric slope edged rings then stacking them, but what about the Maple 'accent' ?

Full marks from me for attempting the challenge of the dovetails.
Observations on shape and finish are much along the lines of the observations of Wood spoiler, I feel the juxtaposition of acute angular details and the curves are not harmonious.

One other observation I have, and this stems from playing with segments to be viewed as a feature in plan form. Not only must the joins be perfectly matched, which you have achieved is seems, but the thickness/proportions of the components must match well enough not to show an obvious variation.

Time to make another half dozen I think to perfect the dimensional control.

monkeybiter":29sx8lkk said:
I was really impressed with this when I saw it, how did you go about construction? I take it that you made the main body by turning concentric slope edged rings then stacking them, but what about the Maple 'accent' ?
Mike

It started life as a plank about 5' wide and maybe 12" long - this was cut in two and a wide sliding dovetail was cut in one of the pieces along that cut. Into this was jointed the small 6" bit of maple and the ends trimmed off. All but 2mm of the maple was then cut away leaving a think lip of maple dovetailed into the Mahogany. The maple then had a dovetail socket cut into into leaving only about 2mm of maple all around the joint. The other bit of Mahogany was then joined into that dovetail. This plank was roughly shaped on the bandsaw before being mounted (glue) block on the lathe and the concentric sloping rings cut using a parting tool. As you guessed these were then stacked on top of each other and glued together to make the bowl blank. Another glue block is placed on the exact centre to allow the blank to be gripped.

Something which helps with the alignment issues is to have drawn a number of lines from the centre outwards before cutting the rings (on both sides) - obviously the dovetail helps here but it is amazing how precise you have to be to avoid jarirng the eye + how much the rings will float with the glue in place.

CHJ and Woodspoiler
I wanted something a little more complex than a simple curve so made a S curve. The lighting has made the transition at the top appear more abrupt than it actually was - almost like a light shadow / over exposure in some way I guess. It was also a very glossy finish which is a swine to photo. Maybe a single S would have been better - I may try that next time. Mind you it might be a while before I have another go - this took a lot of time! :) I think a simple straight line would have been too "manufactured" but a single ogle could have been better

Gus
If I didn't want honesty I wouldn't have asked! :) If you can put your finger on contributing reasons I would be grateful - not always possible I know :)

Thanks all :)

Miles

miles_hot":23544z5x said:
Gus
If I didn't want honesty I wouldn't have asked! :) If you can put your finger on contributing reasons I would be grateful - not always possible I know :)

Hi Miles,

I keep looking at it to try and figure out what it is doesn't work for me. I don't think its anything to do with the actual shape or finish but the fact that the dovetail cuts it in half. I remember now seeing something similar done in contrasting woods, one half dark and one half light. It just didn't gel but looked like two bits stuck together.

You're right, it is difficult sometimes to be specific. We are back to the 'art' and 'craft' argument I suspect. Most would agree on how well something is made but the aesthetic judgement tends to vary somewhat according to taste.

The thing is of course, that my sense of taste is perfect and if others disagree they are just plain wrong.

gus3049":bkbjcmfv said:
...The thing is of course, that my sense of taste is perfect and if others disagree they are just plain wrong.
Final proof he's gone native folks !!

Hi Miles

I appreciate the work involved in producing this bowl and the reason for making it

However I keep look at it hoping I would like it more

As mentioned in a earlier post the outer shape of the bowl is lacking a consistent curve

and the ring joints ( Dark wood ) seem to compete with the dovetail joints ( very light wood ) for prominence with the circular verses the straight

As always beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Cheers

Allen

Thanks Allen - the dark joints were not intentional :( I'd used PVA expecting it to dry clear but it dried dark!
Miles

CHJ":3jb6rsc4 said:
gus3049":3jb6rsc4 said:
...The thing is of course, that my sense of taste is perfect and if others disagree they are just plain wrong.
Final proof he's gone native folks !!

Native to where though?

Round here the population is probably equal parts English, German, Dutch and even some French people.

Anyway, I have always had superb taste, some of us are just born that way :D . I was going to say ask my wife and thought better of it.

As the t-shirt proclaims British by Birth - English by the grace of God (or any other mythical supreme being for that matter, just to remain suitably secular).

I believe going native is anywhere north of Hadrians minor construction or across the water from Dover, and living like the locals. damned Foreigners!

Hope this highly educated reply aids comprehension of "going native"

Wood spoiler":2mjitmbp said:
As the t-shirt proclaims British by Birth - English by the grace of God (or any other mythical supreme being for that matter, just to remain suitably secular).

Hmmm,

No rapture for you then my boy.

Latest posts

Back