Bowl and some fruit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

Established Member
Reaction score
A goncalo alves bowl finished with some advice from friends on here.
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG

And I took the opportunity to try my hand with some fruit, just made with some scrap pine to try and make a working chuck for them, and thanks to the TUT I found on here.
IMG_0564.JPG

I am happy enough to put me name to the bowl, any suggestions on the best way to do this, permanent marker/pen on the base before the finish is applied?

Attachments

• IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 587
That's a very significant achievement in such a short time, well done.

Marking, some folks with good writing skills use pyrography, I personally make do with a fine Rite-4-All or CD pen to mark wood type and date.

Nice bowl and the fruit's a very good shape too.

Difficult to tell from the photo but it looks like you mirrored the outside shape on the inside in the end?

Not keen on the bowl shape but nice finish

But

Super fruit !!! They are fab !

All looks good to me. I can't for the life of me do fruit, always get the shape wrong for some reason so can truly admire yours. Beautiful.

Pete

Thanks for the comments, I am not sure about the shape myself but the better half likes it. The shape follows the top 1/4 so it looks like it is about 5mm thick but changes into a single curve the rest of the way down. I think you call it an Ogee curve.

I have tactically arranged the fruit to hid the learning :oops: sections. I did take me one or two tries to get the the chuck right. I also took the advice to cut deeper than I liked for the cores, it makes a big difference to the over all look. I like the idea of having each different, I do not think that's everyone's idea but I did toy with the idea of finding an apple ect and making a template from that to get the same each time. I have been informed that I have to make some bananas this weekend. As I do not use a lathe for this I am considering rebelling :twisted:

Back