bowl 6 criticism welcome still learning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart c

Established Member
Reaction score
after a quick trip to the fantastic tool post at Didcot this morning to get a couple of sycamore bowl blanks and then

spending far to long dribbling over the vast array of wood turning goody's in that place i decided to try again just with a

basic bowl but taking more time getting the face plate spot on before anything else i found putting a long nail lightly in

the marked cross then putting the face plate down easier to centre it by having the focal point at the top rather than

peering down the hole at the cross hope this helps any other newbie who hasn't bought a chuck yet anyway joy of joys

bang on centre both times the rim is the same width all the way round this time so i am quite pleased with this one but

as always i am more than open to criticism that's how we newbies learn

Attachments

• bowl 5.JPG
    bowl 5.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,349
That is a nicely shaped bowl well done and from what I can see its a decent finish =D>
Regards
Bill

thank you all
it is the first one that i feel pleased with
but if anyone has some negative comments please do not hold back it is how i learn i do not get offended fire away :)

I got negative comment--------------------------------------------------
I did not make it LOL
well done looks good to me
Tom

A well proportioned bowl foot size looks about right for the size of the bowl. Looking at it is there tool marks running around the outer surface or is it just a trick of the light

thank you all again

and yes i have just picked it up and tilted it into bright light and there is a faint line dam it

the camera flash has picked it out you cant see it unless its bright light put it is there so back to sanding it goes :)

stuart c":1g4v78gl said:
after a quick trip to the fantastic tool post at Didcot this morning to get a couple of sycamore bowl blanks and then

spending far to long dribbling over the vast array of wood turning goody's in that place i decided to try again just with a

basic bowl but taking more time getting the face plate spot on before anything else i found putting a long nail lightly in

the marked cross then putting the face plate down easier to centre it by having the focal point at the top rather than

peering down the hole at the cross hope this helps any other newbie who hasn't bought a chuck yet anyway joy of joys

bang on centre both times the rim is the same width all the way round this time so i am quite pleased with this one but

as always i am more than open to criticism that's how we newbies learn

Good proportions, and shape, it flows really nicely to my eye.

Can I just add a comment about your nail for centring the faceplate. Turn a piece of hard wood so it just slides through the threads on your face plate. Slightly taper one end, drill a hole right through length ways and fit a long screw, so that the tip just protrudes. Use a centre pop to mark your cross centre, lift faceplate with wood plug and place onto the mark. Dead centre every time without even looking.

well my intentions of re-sanding just went out the window just found out the wife has given it to her mother but im not going to complain they are upgrading there shed next month and i have my eye on there old one :)

Latest posts

Back