Bottle opener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsg

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi again, I am slowly getting used to my new lathe when time allows and have been making some usefull'ish stuff. However I want to make the father-in-law a bottle opener but I can not find the metal part anywhere in the UK. I've seen some in the US but has anyone found a distributer in the UK?
Any help in finding this would be appreciated. The reason I want to make him one is that I have got a load of old branches from his ash tree which are great to turn and he loves bottled beer.
Thanks in advance
Paul

Thanks Richard, however £10.00 inc postage is a bit steep. Think I will keep looking
Paul

You didn't say you wanted cheap :lol:

For cheap anything, you're probably best to get one from wilkos or a supermarket with a plastic handle, break it off and fit your own. Bet you'd only pay a couple of quid for that! Doubt it would be as smart though.

Richard

Beaten to it by Mr. Findley, posted nevertheless;

I made a combined bottle opener/corkscrew as a gift earlier this year. The bottle opener was from Turners Retreat and worked fine, I bought a corkscrew from Axminster, but I didn't use it as the anchor is inadequate; I bought a cheap can-opener/corkscrew and canibalised it.

Bit of a 'beat around the bush' but if £5 + p&p is too much could you adapt something from a pound shop or similar?

tsg":7kggd26a said:
Thanks Richard, however £10.00 inc postage is a bit steep. Think I will keep looking
Paul
Don't let the wife hear you say that she will think that you are saying her dad is not worth it :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted:

I'm afraid I'm a bit cheap when it comes to making stuff. Being an amateur amateur, I find it hard to part with what very little disposable income I have on something I can't guarantee will turn out anywhere near decent.
We have a B&M discount store round our way, which is an Aladdin's cave of project parts. Not to mention cheap teak oil, boiled linseed oil, meths, poly glue...... etc. etc.
I regularly but insulated travel mugs which are donors for wooden sleeves. £1.99 thank you very much, or £2.99 for the stainless steel ones which don't need to be cut to get the insert out.
If they don't do bottle openers or corkscrews crying out for butchering, it's a sad day. :lol:

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will go down the 'butchering' route if I can find a cheapie.
Paul

Back