Bosch mini drill...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarkin

Established Member
Reaction score
Under what can only be described as the most bizzare circumstances, i found my slef being 100 miles form my workshop and requiring a cordless drill/driver rather urgently. So off I went down to the local B&Q with the intention of gettin one of their 14.99 cheapo cordless'. :?

Then i came to my senses and decided not to waste my money (althgouh some will no doubt argue that I have anyway...) I already have a menagerie of 14.4V and 18V cordelss drills (Makita and Metabo stuff), but find that they are just too big for screwing, especially small screws, not only that but I'm sick fed up of flip drivers (damn things keep breaking on me) so I've been thinking about getting a little mini cordless screwdriver like the 4.8V Metabo Powermaxx. In the end I decided the Metabo was just too small, but Bosch have just released a compromise, a 10.8V Li-Ion mini drill/driver, the PSR 300 Li.

First thing to note is that this is a 'Bosch Green' product, so it's not top quality (although I do beleive there is a 'blue' version). It has a 1/4" locking hex drive chuck, and comes with a couple of hex drill bits and all the usual screwdriver bits and a magnetic adaptor. The first thing to note is that it's very light, only 800g. It also has the battery internally in the handle (so no battery changes if it goes flat) but this makes it smaller as a result. It's a 1AH Li-Ion battery, which is a big plus. It has an electric torque control (not a mechanical one) which I was a bit dubious about, but actually works really well. It also has a little white LED on the bottom of the handle (where the torque control is) which points at the work area. Again, a gimic I thought, but I was surprised just how usfull this could be. In operation, It is very effective. It drove in umpteen 6x80 course thread screws into a stud wall for fun, the torque this thing puts out is almost unbeleivable. It's max speed is 400rpm, not the best for drilling, but having given it a quick terst with a 10mm bit into some oak, it preformed very well. I wouldn't say it's a good drill thoguh, but as a screwdriver it excells. I think i have found the solution to my flip-driver problem, drill with a bigger more powerfull drill ,and screw with this.

If you too hate the flip-driver and find that bigger drills arn't best suited for screwing anyway, then I thourghally recomend this. It may not be rugged enough for trade use, but for a home woodworker etc it is more than adequate and supremely good at what it does.

Cheers.
Ewan.

There is, indeed, a "blue" version - the GSR 10.8v LI. Comes with holster, two batteries, charger and carry-case (which has a handy retractable hook, just right for the van). Cracking little thing, quite a bit of power and just the job for fitting cornices, pelmets and 300mm wide cupboards.

Half-hour full charge and 15 minutes brings the battery up to 70% - as it's Li there's no problem about "battery memory" and there's power right to the death. This is a little strange at first, because you expect it to slowly get weaker, but it's suddently right out of puff. With two batteries and a good, quick charger, that's no problem. I'm pleased with it and the little neon light is, as stated above, much more useful than you'd think. :)

Ray.

Back