Bosch GSR12 Battery Life

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonic

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had a "Bosch Blue" 12V driver for a couple of years, and it's a lovely little drill- but the batteries have recently gone decidedly downhill. Well, you might say, that is to be expected - but it hasn't had that much use, and I always totally discharge the battery pack before re-charging. I have had an Erbauer 18V combi drill for over 6 years, and it has done a hell of a lot of work (for much of its life it was my only cordless tool). The batteries for that seem to still be soldiering on, so I am a bit disappointed :( .

When I considered buying a replacement, I was stunned by the price (at least £35) and I have been thinking of cutting them open and re-celling them. Then I saw Axminster selling the latest version of the GSR12, complete with 3 batteries for £75 (and a set of drive bits thrown in) :) . So I now have 2 drills and 3 good batteries plus 2 dodgy ones, plus 2 chargers.

Hopefully the new battery packs will be better than the old, but the reason for the post was to ask if anyone else had had a similar experience ?

Regards Colin

I have a 14.4v Bosch hammer drill and jigsaw set sitting in the workshop doing nothing because the batteries died a couple of years ago. I have been thinking the same thing that I could just buy a cheap Bosch drill to get the batteries.

My main drills now are the Makita Li-ion ones so have never bothered with my old Bosch ones.

Did you feel that the Bosch batteries lasted ok, or that they died a bit prematurely ?

Colin

Sonic
I have the same drill for about the same time and i too felt they are not as good as they should be. I know they are 12volt etc but i have been quite disapointed with its performance in that respect.
owen

Hi Colin
I had the same problem with my 3 Bosch drills. So like Chippy I bought the Makita 18v Li-on ones. I've had these for about a year so it is much to soon to say how they will last but at the moment they are doing great and hold their charge for ever it seems like.

Best wishes

John

I think they lasted a couple of years maybe then just died slowly.

Like John says the Makita li-ion last forever it seems I have the 18v drill and impact driver had them about 20 months now and use them on site every day and hardly have to charge them.

Also the torque on the combi drill is great in first gear it could easily break your wrist if your not careful, a couple of weeks ago I used it with a 120mm hole saw in 18mm ply and it did it no problem :D .

So it seems that Bosch NiCad batteries are pants ! Pity, I think the drill itself is good. Oh well, lets hope I get a bit of use out of the three new batts before they die....

Colin

Colin,

I see most forum questions are answered immediately and not six weeks later, but I only visit the website four times a year.

I have four dead Bosch 12 volt batteries in the workshop and none that work. Meanwhile all the 9 volt Bosch batteries (six) and all the 14.4 volt batteries (eighteen) are working. The 9 volt drills don't get overworked and there are an awful lot of the 14.4 volt batteries kicking about, so perhaps they too haven't been overworked. Perhaps there is something inherently poor about the 12volt batteries or drills.

The reason for the many 14.4 volt batteries is that the cheap green drill drivers have often been sold off cheap at B&Q and Homebase. For instance, £40 for drill and two batteries and a Bosch 40 piece drill set. Never mind the green drill, which is rubbish, the batteries get used in the blue GSR and, given the drill bits, the batteries cost less than £20 each. For an extra £4 at Homebase you get an extended warranty for 3 years that covers batteries. I have cheekily taken in an exhausted battery from an older drill to get a replacement. I am tempted to buy another soon and take out another warranty to ensure that I have another 3 year's worth of batteries before they disappear altogether.

Ross

Latest posts

Back