Bootfair Brass Infill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Mick...all the "bevel" supporters were right...but it's a difficult decision because once you start you are kind of committed! :wink:

Anyway...we are nearly there...so just to look back a bit to the first day....

A fiver at a bootfair...

DSC_0006.JPG

....now after much soul searching...fiddling....sawing and firing...grinding and polishing...then bevelling :)D )

DSC_0354.JPG

There is a fine art to this bevel business!

DSC_0352.JPG

I have to accept that the casting was rejected in the first place...there are some deep pits which get amplified by finishing but it is still a gorgeous little bit of brass....

...the "woodplow".....

DSC_0353.JPG

....the infill....Indian rosewood...

DSC_0355.JPG

....ah...and "those" ears! They work...sometimes the thumb is needed there....so they stay!...

DSC_0358.JPG

...the wedge....

DSC_0360.JPG

I could have done better here...next time maybe....

DSC_0362.JPG

.....I'm happy....

DSC_0363.JPG

...NOW...who was it that said there was not enough space in my plane cupboard.....DRAT....how did you know! :mrgreen:

I enjoyed that...and I hope it was interesting to others....

Now....Matt...about those castings..... 8)

Cheers lads and lasses

Jim

Looks georgous & i have enjoyed following. One thing, is the blade slightly narrower than the body ? That could be an issue.

Well done, Woodguy.

woodguy7":39vsz491 said:
Looks georgous & i have enjoyed following. One thing, is the blade slightly narrower than the body ? That could be an issue.

Well done, Woodguy.

Yes...you have good eyes...it is indeed! I screwed up on the first pass of the bevel...it's a few thou short. I will make another...

Thanks for the comments guys....I get a great kick out of seeing something for which time was not kind, shine again in the present...

DSC_0369.JPG

:wink:

Jim

That is absolutely fantastic work!

I've been enjoying following this very much and i am at awe of the result!

I've also enjoyed every instalment, and the end product is excellent. :)

I've just seen something on ebay that instantly made me think of this thread again - item 140419801309 - it has ears!! :D You made me want ears so much I nearly fell down the slope again and put in a bid, but I can't justify it for a tool I don't have any use for currently :oops:

Is it really a Marples I wonder?

:oops: Guys! You are most kind....thank you indeed.

Dan...ah! Ears....well mine is going to keep the ears now...and to be honest...sometimes...when you are using the plane in a certain way...they fit right there where they should be.

I have no doubt that this debate will wimper on...some big brains in the infill word say "no" and I bow to their experience...but I simply can't see them as casting tabs which is really the only other option.

I have squeezed some room on my plane shelf...

DSC_0002.JPG

Looks like I may need to build another one....

DSC_0006.JPG

So this slope...how steep is it again?

:D :D :D :D

Jim

jimi43":14n2admk said:
:

I have squeezed some room on my plane shelf...

DSC_0002.JPG

Looks like I may need to build another one....

So this slope...how steep is it again?

:D :D :D :D

Jim
Jim, you've clearly entered the downhill slide of the plane 'collector'...I count 11! The steepness of the 'Slope' is directly proportional to the quantity of cc's in your wallet and indirectly proportional to the twitching frequency with which your hand reaches for the same...of course if you've got the breaking strain of a Kit-Kat, then the effect of both parameters is quadrupled and you're truly doomed :lol:

...I'm now at a modest 20 planes :oops: - Rob

Mick...once again..thank you so much for your kind words.

Paul...I am glad that this has inspired you...in my view...restoring old vintage tools is a superb way of getting some decent kit which does the job and doesn't set you back a mortgage. Granted I lust over LN and Veritas, Clifton and Bridge City but since I cannot afford these (yet)...I will continue to fix up old bootfair jobs...and it keeps me fit at weekends too!

Rob...I know mate...but I have to admit I have never bought a plane from a shop...sad init? All my collection originates from grimey boxes at bootfairs....except ONE...that tiny little IBEX which came from fleaBay at great expense and is frankly....cr*p!

The even sadder thing though...lurking on the bench are...um...quite a few more planes... :oops:

I am slowly selling them though...the duplicates like my "other" No.7...

DSC_0119.JPG

I have been so busy I haven't even had time to tune that old boxed Record....but it must go soon....

Watch this space! :D

Jim

Dear Jim
What an outstanding thread - I agree it has truly made me enjoy every minute of it.
If you wanted to get rid of that #7 I would be quite interested...
Regards
Mark

Thanks Mark...that is very kind of you to say that.

Today I was surfing FleaBay and espied this little baby (click to see what it went for!)

Over 300 squids!! :shock:

You can see from this one the horn....I wonder if it moved on from that to mine. Notice also...the lack of bevel! :wink:

Since working on the window frame easing out the inside this last week....I have found that my thumb does indeed utilise the "ears"....so I guess they should be there after all...it is still intriguing though!

This is definitely the best one on the shelf...I think it will be a keeper.

Jim

Jim

I've been away for a few weeks and while I've been gone, you've created a bloomin' masterpiece!

I've been particularly interested to catch up with this thread because as you can see from my avatar, I've got a vintage Slater shoulder plane and the subtlety of its design always fascinated me. You've done a proper job!

Evergreen":3e0hhijw said:
Jim

I've been away for a few weeks and while I've been gone, you've created a bloomin' masterpiece!

I've been particularly interested to catch up with this thread because as you can see from my avatar, I've got a vintage Slater shoulder plane and the subtlety of its design always fascinated me. You've done a proper job!

You are too kind my friend! But thank you.

I looked at the Slaters mostly in my research. They are fascinating indeed and the "ears" on this one are particularly interesting.

I go through phases too of bevel/no bevel...flush/overstuffed....that sort of thing but the overriding feeling for me is that they are all beautiful...and it is a wonder to use. The weight is definitely an advantage...mine is a real user and...Chems...I am tempted but this is a keeper for sure.

Jim

I joined this forum just over a year ago and I'm still finding gem's like this.

I'm sure lots of folk on here who have joined after 2010 will enjoy this thread

Well done Jimi, we are not worthy.

Good LORD mate...that's an old one for sure...I had to do a double take when I saw it in the Hand Tools forum and started reading it with interest until I realised it was my old thread!! HA!

I actually thought someone else had found an old reject casting similar to mine!

Many years (yes years!) hence...that old shoulder plane still gets used occasionally..I never did get around to making an oversized iron for him...I just got onto "other things!"

He still takes pride of place on my mantelpiece along with a "few" others more recently acquired and I think it's about time I got a new mantelpiece! And don't get me started on the woodies!

Jim

Back