Bootfair Brass Infill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RILEY":1gaj0uvd said:
Looking gorgeous, as expected from you Jimi.
What grades of Micromesh have you taken it through? Do you get yours from WH?
I've never used the stuff, but you've single handedly inspired me to get some. The finish you achieve is awesome.
What do I need?
Sorry for hijacking the thread mate.

Adam.

Hi Adam

Thanks for the compliments mate...really appreciated.

I am a major fan of 3M MicroMesh as you say...

Matthew sells the Scary Sharp system and lapping films which are for metal sharpening but the stuff I use is the grey or blue MicroMesh set which I got originally from fleaBay....although Matthew may now sell it...

Click here for the supplier I used to use who is brilliant...

You start with any old 240 grit Aluminium Oxide paper...I happen to use some of the expensive Swedish stuff by EKA but that's only cos I got it for next to nothing at a bootfair (loads of it)....

Then I move to MicroMesh which starts at 1500 MESH (not to be confused with grit) and goes up through 1800, 2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 8000, 12000 and you will get the finish like above.

This stuff is really superb for turning...if you are making a handle or tote:

lathe85.jpg

Try it....you will be very happy! AND...you can wash it out and dry it and use it again and again!

It works out very cheaply in the long run!

Andy...I put a post up on the Handplane Central forum...

Click here

and it looks like you may very well be right....they are casting tabs.

That being said...I looked hard at them again tonight and I am not 100% sure....I can't believe they were not just ground off when they did the pitting fill-in.

I'm not in any great rush to finish the front bit...as I have to cut the iron tomorrow and then fire up the kiln to harden it...so all that should take me to the weekend given the shifts I am on...

I will keep searching and watching out for any similar planes..I would hate to cut them off only to find it is some sort of radical Slater or Norris design.

It's where they are that get me. Because the plane is HUGE and heavy I am thinking they would be JUST right for a thumb position on say a horn to push the front along a bit better. What do you think?

Jim

jt":s2nhwzoj said:
There's a picture of a hotley plane with similar, albeit much more substantial "ears" in Christopher Scwarz's blog

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/bl ... Loopy.aspx

Maybe you have accidentally picked up a prototype casting :D

Those are more like love handles Jim! :D :D :D

I am still just this side of thinking they are designed in. I fail to see why someone would spend time rounding off rather than cutting off the tabs...doesn't make sense.

Jim

I would definitely keep them in. Even if they are casting tabs, then by keeping them it would make your plane even more unique than the others that may have been made with them removed!

Doesn't it come down to usability (with appearance following closely behind)?

When you use a shoulder plane, the shape of the top matters a lot, affecting how comfortable it is to hold and pull/push with one or two hands.

I think you should make up a wedge as well (maybe an experimental one from ordinary wood) so you can experiment with the shape of the whole tool.

If it feels comfortable and usable with the tabs, keep them! I agree they do look too clean for something extra for casting, but until someone finds a plane somewhere with something similar, I think they are not supposed to be there.

I think that you will be happy with it Adam....great stuff.

Ok...well while the debate on my "ears" carries on...I thought I would whittle up an iron out of the left-over 01 steel stock that I bought for the Galoot plane.

I am a glutton for punishment and now have a left arm like Popeye....

DSC_0106.JPG

(note to self...save up for a Proxxon!)....it's coming on...

DSC_0108.JPG

A little over two hours later....and one dead hacksaw blade...

DSC_0114.JPG

and well spotted about the bevel Andy...it doesn't fit otherwise!

But it does with the bevel....

DSC_0113.JPG

I have to finish off the micro-adjuster on the Creusen grinder to get it dead right so stopping here...

DSC_0110.JPG

Next step tomorrow is to make a temporary wedge...

Update on Handplane Central....discussing the "ears":

Hi Jim,
Infill horns didn't really affect the sides of shoulder planes as such, and in 25 years or so (and many thousands of shoulder planes seen over that time) I've never seen side protrusions like that on any shoulder plane - not even on user-mades.
I can't tell from the pictures but the protrusions look like they have different widths. If that's the case then it seems more likely that they are just casting tabs.
Also, 8" by 1-1/2" is a stock standard size for a plane of this type - plus the heavier it is, the better.
---
Admin.

So looks like you are spot on Andy...(unless of course you are also known as "admin" :D :D :D :wink: )

Later guys and gals...

Jimi

Looking good - well on the way to a new species - the long eared plane!

Btw while I think of it, I was unsure about whether the side bevels ought to be sharp - the answer I was kindly given on here was that No, they shouldn't - unless you want blood stains on all your wood!

AndyT":1l288axf said:
Looking good - well on the way to a new species - the long eared plane!

Btw while I think of it, I was unsure about whether the side bevels ought to be sharp - the answer I was kindly given on here was that No, they shouldn't - unless you want blood stains on all your wood!

I think I will keep the ears...I mean..it's a talking point now and should flummox all the slidy shavey gurus in 100 years time! I think I will engrave something in code on the seat....just to add to the intrigue...but "Mum's the word" right? :wink: :D 8)

As you can see...I have stopped short of scary sharp bevels and will probably leave them at 45 deg too...or I may do a "Holtey" and polish them to a mirror shine...not sure yet!

I have been tinkering with the iron today...forming the tail into a nice little bun...will probably harden it Saturday...and make a temporary wedge.

I may in fact change out the rosewood too....I have ordered "something exotic" so not sure if it will work yet...but that is part of the fun init!?

Jim

hi Jim

very very nice matey, don't that learning curve just get bigger & bigger with every plane you do, keep them coming , following with interest,,looking forwards to see the finish job 8) . hc

head clansman":1a78116f said:
hi Jim

very very nice matey, don't that learning curve just get bigger & bigger with every plane you do, keep them coming , following with interest,,looking forwards to see the finish job 8) . hc

Watcha HC...that is very nice of you to say old chap!

Indeed...that is what intrigues me about all of the finds...the history...the techniques...the research and the choosing of wood....all of it is so very educational and fascinating.

I am having fun with this one.

Jim

hi Jim

It's the intrigue in making thing like this, that got me interest enough to make a replica 1600 century flintlock pistol back in 1978 i just want to see how difficult it was to make , judging from the tools they must have had in those day i know it was bloody difficult for me to do with modern day tools. hc

yea less of the old :D i'm only 61 yrs young, still a boy :D

Hi, Jim

I think you should cut off those tabs and over stuff it like this one of mine,

VBEandshoulder005.jpg

It makes it much nicer to a handle.

Pete

hi Pete

rounded ends must be nice to fit into the palm of the hand, comfort, is that big brass bolt the original idea for a plane like that . :?: hc

Yeh....I was torn between overstuffed and flush but on reflection...and this is only a personal choice mind...I prefer the flush...but just for you I might do both with the exotic I am getting...(can't wait!)

I am keeping the ears....making a horn....and then if I don't like it or it's uncomfortable...I can saw them off and make it flush....

I would have a job doing that the other way around! :wink: 8)

Jim

Hi Jim,

If you do want a bit of 1-1/2" English walnut I've got a piece that would fit with a seriously wicked curl in it. I just sent a chunk of it to a customer to replace a lump of Jarrah that had a crack in and she was absolutely over the moon with it.

I have seen originals with the horn in the centre so it is definitely an intended design feature rather than a casting tab. The ones I have seen were slightly overstuffed in the body with the horn infill cut flush - looks really attractive if it's done well. I'm trying to think which make of plane I have seen it on, I'm 90% on Slater but I couldn't be certain.

Looking at this I seriously tempted to get a run of castings done, I don't know about you but I'm envisaging it in Box, Sapele, Ironwood, Corrugatta, Ebony, Buffalo horn, even Micarta......!

Hi Matthew

Thanks for the comments and also some direction with my ears!!

I too believe that I have seen a Slater but it had the horn on the infill and I am sure it didn't have prominent tabs....viz....

Slater-Rhino-Horn-Shoulder-Plane-1.jpg

but I still can't see why they would round these over if the were tabs...just cut them off!

I think there would be a serious market for just the plain (plane!) castings for people like me who would like to finish such a gem but don't have the metalworking skills (yet!). I have to ask though...would it be commercially viable? Perhaps you would know that better than most...China perhaps? Gunmetal would also be a "luxury" version.

As far as infill wood....as I said earlier...I was looking at English walnut and am seriously tempted. If you want to send me a bit I would be happy to whittle it up in comparison...I am over the internal measuring now...which was the difficult bit.

You need to see what I have ordered for the "exotic" too...I am keeping it under wraps at the moment so as not to spoil the surprise but it is unique...and hugely repeatable...(not a contradition as you will see! :wink: )

I think I want to do some permutations...flush..overstuffed....this wood...that wood. I have the luxury of time to test and we can put it to the vote.

My only worry is that I can utilize the ears correctly...an ancient example would be most helpful!

Jim

Matthew - I'd definitely buy a casting as a project, I think it would be a very popular item, after all, woodies love making their own tools, and if you can give them the basics (and some usefully sized exotic timbers) you would have them flying off the shelves.

Back