Bootfair Brass Infill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see the potential but also a risk. I once bought a block plane kit from a firm in the states and it was such a magnificently P155 poorly ground beach sand casting I had to calm down and dry my trews before taking it back to the post office.

If t'were done t'were better t'were done well, so I'll have a chat with our friends at QS and see what they can come up with. Any preferances as to reasonably well finished or really inexpensive but rough as a grumpy foundryman's language?

As far as the ears go, the ones I have seen are a straightforward stuff between the ears as you have them, finished to the same standard as the body but flushed straight across. Reason would suggest that this provided placement for the web of the thumb whilst trimming cheeks and fitted neatly between second and third finger while trimming shoulders. I've had a good rummage through google images but it's not the same since they stopped showing ebay photos.

I think that the finish is not as important as the flatness and squareness of the sides and sole.

The owner can then fettle it as much or as little as they wish without having to straighten out required dimensional imperfections.

The ears have it Matthew...as I said...I want to keep them and the logic prevails over experience I am afraid...I agree with you...they are put in a logical place for those activities but I will try and also pass it around for views...once finished. If the worse comes to the worse I can always hack them off at a later date.

I would be interested in a size similar to the medium LN....this one is too big for me really and the Aled one is great but too small for larger jobbies.

Say 7 3/4" by 3/4"??

Jim

Racers":3aw8b0ob said:
I think you should cut off those tabs ...
I think you should leave the tabs.

Of course, I've never used a shoulder plane, so I don't know what I'm talking about. But you should leave them anyway. :D They match your 'horn' and they'd be a sod to refit at a later date if you did cut them off.

Watching with interest.

Cheers, Vann.

Matthew, I agree with Jimi, and will go as far as saying the casting could be rough, as long as there are no serious defects.
You could possibly also sell it as a kit, with infill blanks, iron blank/scary sharp kit etc.

Adam.

Hi Vann

This is becoming very interesting indeed and I believe we have a divided school of thought here...your conclusions being my conclusions...but lookit what I did espy:

7.jpg

Close but no cigar BUT it proves the concept...

Jim

Well...I had to work 24hrs without sleep yesterday and dozed this morning so I was determined to progress this further today...so it was off to do the wedge...first to cut up the blank:

DSC_0168.JPG

Please note...these are staged shots...I am not Norm and not nuts! That blade from Ian is lethal!! Highly recommended too..it fair cuts like butter through this rosewood and even though it is a 3 skip...it is a reasonably fine cut and I can't be a*sed to change to a cr@p fine one.

So...learning from the Aled one...always leave enough stock - and 8 degree included angle!!

DSC_0169.JPG

Remember that Sweetheart iron from the bitsa...well it whizzes though this..nice curly shavings....

DSC_0174.JPG

Lord..I LURVE working with rosewood...everything about it is beautiful...even the Eastern stuff...I even burned some shavings last night when it was chilly and the lounge smelled like perfume....

DSC_0175.JPG

Test fitting the wedge...

DSC_0179.JPG

This actually was spot on first time out of the vise...I must be getting used to this stuff!

DSC_0181.JPG

I think the "ear" looks right now it is infilled...it is exactly in the place for the thumb...but without testing it on wood...I can't tell definitely yet...

DSC_0191.JPG

The iron fits perfectly...just look at this mouth!!!

DSC_0194.JPG

Lateral adjustment works fine...plenty of sideways movement to line up the edge in the mouth...

DSC_0196.JPG

...so I am pretty happy with the rough blank...the iron and the fitting...

DSC_0198.JPG

Then....I thought...I would just create an echo shape....I find the Holtey to angular for my taste so I wanted to echo the rear infill bump...parallel all the way top and back...and I was just finishing it off when the courier arrived with my surprise..........

I am absolutely delighted with some new stock I received...BUT...BIG PROBLEM...now I have an even better photo stand!! :roll:

DSC_0221.JPG

Hot from the courier...my new figured stock...some more burr elm...some wych elm and some Australian Jarrah...oh and some figured yew...(more on the others later)....

So now I have a really difficult decision on my hands...

DSC_0220.JPG

My idea was to use dense burr for the infill and then some wych for the wedge....but I keep getting great photo stands!!!! :oops:

DSC_0222.JPG

I have some inner corner finishing to do and hope to fire up the kiln sometime this week...probably tomorrow if I am lucky...but I think that is enough for today!

But....before I go...the sun came around the front of the house and I couldn't resist a little artsy photography...

DSC_0230.JPG

This is called "BORN AT LAST".... 8)

Cheers guys and gals!

Jim

Jim

I don't know why you had to get more wood - if I were you I'd be including your new pride and joy in every photo!

Seriously nice job - but how does the shape feel in use? What about use on its side on a tenon shoulder?

Guys...you are so kind...

Each one of these projects is a learning curve...as John says...a steep one!

I am really tempted to try the Wych Elm...is is gorgeous...but maybe next time. I haven't glued the infill in yet - I am that much on the fence...but I will finish this one off with rosewood as it stands..it polishes really nicely...

So...now to fire up the kiln this afternoon and then cut some shavings...little point in going further without a roadtest.

Cheers

Jim

Yes Rob...I think if Matt manages to get some by October then this would make an ideal Secret Santa. That is because it is mostly all labour...

I will warn you though...once you infill one of these behemoths you will want to keep it in a cage at home!!!

I've been tossing the bevel/no bevel question around in my head for a while Mick. I will continue to think about it and study options....good point though!

Ok so let's give her some teeth!

Out comes the kiln again guys.....

DSC_0232.JPG

For those of you who have not seen this baby before...it's an enamel kiln...another bootfair bargin...which happens to go up to about 1000 degrees and has a temperature probe. Although it isn't a thermostatically controlled one...sitting next to it was MOI...hitting the on/off switch for 15 minutes...nothing to strain me brain! :wink:

Pop it in gas mark 5 for 15 minutes then get the missus to stand by with a camera and a fire extinguisher...then pop it out.

DSC_0234.JPG

I must admit...handling steel that is glowing at nearly 800 degrees frightens the living poo out of me...hence the protective clothing...mostly leather. I am a chicken but I'd rather not be a Kentucky Fried Chicken...especially plunging into oil!

DSC_0236.JPG

It does make a LOT of smoke for a small iron!

DSC_0237.JPG

Off to cool in a pre-heated oven at 250 degrees....

DSC_0243.JPG

I hate this bit....the waiting....

Later guys and gals...

Jim

Ok the fun starts now...

The iron came out fine...shaved hairs and all that...I'm virtually bald now! :D

So...does this old lady with a facelift make shavings....too right it does!!

DSC_0245.JPG

I went a bit mad....! 8)

One thing I didn't know...the end of the wedge on most shoulder planes is shaped like the bow of a ship....NOW I know why! It acts as a woodplow...forcing the shavings out the side...with the wedge remaining blunt I ended up with long concertinas!!!

Guiding the initial part of a shaving out first....cut nice spirals...so I need to shape the front of the wedge:

DSC_0246.JPG

So I borrowed SWIMBO for some action shots...(she really is getting quite good at this photography lark...)

DSC_0251.JPG

WHIZZZZZ...

DSC_0252.JPG

...and I get that whooshing sound again...luvit!

So...does it cut nice rebates....yup!

DSC_0262.JPG

Tomorrow I can finish this off with confidence...confidence that it cuts as well as the baby Aled....which was used to make the infill...

DSC_0264.JPG

Kinda nice feeling that.....

:wink:

Jim

Great job Jim. If I could make one suggestion, I'd take off the sharpish arris's on the edge of the brass...maybe a little chamfer of some sort? - Rob

Yes Rob...I think the jury has just returned from the debate and a bevel will be added...I will do that as a final tweek once I get the sides and front/back done...as you can see, I am putting off the front for a while as I build a little jig to run it sideways to follow the machine scratches in line with the side. This will cross the end grain of the rosewood so I want to get the dead right....

Phil...thanks mate...that is praise indeed coming from your good self...in fact...your work is one inspirational target that keeps me from saying I have finished...one day...one day... 8)

Some more pictures following the "woodplow" carving of the tip of the wedge...it now chucks the shavings out the side...like a shotgun...in little spirals...

DSC_0270.JPG

The woodplow...

DSC_0273.JPG

...the wedge...needs a tiny bit of finishing at the transition...

DSC_0275.JPG

Bevel still to be added once the final metalwork has been completed.....

DSC_0277.JPG

The iron is sitting about 1 thou up off the front seat on one side...I think that there must be a tiny bit of rough casting up the spout somewhere...

Nil desperandum....will find it...

Will do some further testing on test tenons after the stupid game on TV...(only patriotism ya know! :oops: )

Jim

Starting to do the final touches today and yes...the bevel is the way to go....

DSC_0340.JPG

I have only done one side so far and it is quite a challenge by hand but if Karl H can do it....

Tenon testing went well today also but I have some tweeks to do..then I will try it on some hardwood.

Later

Jim

Jimi

The bevel looks so much better and I believe will make handling the plane much more comfortable. It also takes the plane up a notch making it look a more professional tool.

Looking great.

Mick

Back