Bootfair Brass Infill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi Jim

Just another question....

With the iron/blade...is it necessary to bevel the spade end?

not sure what your asking here do you mean leave the blade square on the end or bevel as its shown on the chip breaker. hc

head clansman":wrn5gg6f said:
hi Jim

Just another question....

With the iron/blade...is it necessary to bevel the spade end?

not sure what your asking here do you mean leave the blade square on the end or bevel as its shown on the chip breaker. hc

Same terms as a chisel HC...is a beveled side required or is just a front cutting bevel ok.

Bevelled:

0028.jpg

Plain:

0048.jpg

or is the latter just for bullnose and chisel planes?

I am not a great shoulder plane expert, this is the only one I have used/seen other than the Aled one I made. So I am totally ignorant of the need/no need for the beveled edge on the sides of the spade.

Yes....Ali...I can fully understand your comments on boxwood as some see it very plain indeed. I have grown over the years to appreciate the very fine and subtle grain, the beautiful colour aging....

But I can see it's not for everyone. At the other end of the scale...the extreme figuring of burr wood also holds me spellbound. The fact that there is no possibility of duplication of the grain also makes individual pieces unique.

I am still on the fence on this one.

Jim

Jim

hi Jim

ah i see what you mean now from the pics , i don't suppose there is any reason to have or not have a bevel really,it's down to you really if it twear mine :roll: , I would bevel it not just because it may look better but because when your using it in a rebate it gives a little lead out clearance space for any odd shaving / bits of debris . hc :)

Gotcha HC.

I have also checked the stock that I have of 01 and it's perfect. A tad wide but I have to cut it down into a spade anyway so a sharp hacksaw blade and a couple of days sawing should do it.

As I didn't find a laser at the bootfair this morning cos I slept in! (Boy, did I need that sleep!) :D

Off to build my sharpening/grinding jig for the Creusen setup now...more WIP on that later...in that thread. Then I can properly bevel the blade for this without standing there for hours creating it on abrasive sheet!

Cheers mate

Jim

A couple of years ago I made a shoulder plane (riveted steel with infill but utilitarian, not beautiful).

I found that bevels on the side were essential for being able to thread the blade through the tight space. If you have a chance to look closely at a commercial shoulder plane, try taking the blade out and looking at how little clearance there is. The bevel makes it just possible for the blade to clear the gap when posted through corner to corner.

With a wooden rebate plane, the throat is entirely open so the blade can go through without twisting, and doesn't need bevels.

jimi43":2eti2elh said:
As I didn't find a laser at the bootfair this morning

Jim
Now I'm really disappointed...I was expecting to log on this morning and find you'd acquired this:

Goldfinger%2Blaser.jpg

You need to try harder next week Jim :lol: - Rob

There's one SLIGHT problem with that Rob...I didn't go...!

I had such a tortuous week at work..that a lie in seemed the only sane option.

I do have a midday bootfair nearby but by then I was into the grinding jig setup and couldn't be bothered.

Don't worry though..I have spoken to Goldfinger and he has a stall next week so I will see if he has any cast offs! :D :wink:

Anyway...after the infill body, a nice Sorby mortice chisel and an old trammel yesterday...I was happy! 8)

Jim

I did some more work towards restoring this today...

First I bought some Indian rosewood from Axminster...a turning blank. The last one I purchased was rather nice...not Brazilian..but there ya go..beggers and all...

I am trying to source some English box but to date it is a bit difficult without going to see Timberline...

I accidently bought a Veritas jig while there for my grinding jig...so I am trying not to distract myself too much! :wink: :oops:

Then I did a bit of Googling...with the idea of trying to find a suitable design...and lo and behold, our ubiquitous Derek of the Colonies had a close one he restored...thanks Derek....

Renovating%20an%20infill%20shoulder%20plane_html_m45ebca0a.jpg

That is an interesting article Derek...especially the iron rivetting! I guess today you would just make a new one?

This is the one that caught my eye...I simply LOVE the horn...

Slater-Rhino-Horn-Shoulder-Plane-1.jpg

Just a little nuance but very beautiful...

I also saw some ebony today and thought of the wonderful Sauer and Steiner shoulders...

MR-ebony.jpg

The Indian rosewood tends to be a little bland for me and nowhere near as nice to work than its Brazilian relative...but hell...it was less than a tenner so I can always use the huge lump for other things like replacement totes etc.

I am going to be patient with this one...off to fiddle with the steel for a bit...and maybe refine my grinding jig a tad...will come in handy when making the shoulder plane blade (or is it iron with shoulder planes..I never know...what do the snobs think? :wink: )

Jim

Jim,

I have a nice blank of zebrano if you want to go for something a litlte jazzy - great find though, I envy your bootsale-Fu.

ByronBlack":32qwpj6d said:
Jim,

I have a nice blank of zebrano if you want to go for something a litlte jazzy - great find though, I envy your bootsale-Fu.

Hi Byron....

That is really strange...when I was in Axminster today...there were some zebrano blanks and I had a look at them and mulled over the idea...but in the end, my love of rosewood got the better of me. I think it is the pleasure of working with the wood that does it..I simply love the smell..

I will see how this comes out with the rosewood and may take you up on that if it doesn't work out...thanks mate..that's very kind of you to offer.

Here is the blank that I bought:

DSC_0086.JPG

I wanted a big enough bit so that I can match grain without having to get another piece if I under estimate for the whole infill...

First...I cut a closer blank out and squared and smoothed the sides using my trusty No.7....I really love that little plane!

DSC_0088.JPG

Indian rosewood tends to tear out more than Brazilian so the sharp iron was essential...at LAST...tests for my faffing around with scary...and grinding jigs and other "theoretical" edge refinements over the last week...

There was virtually no tearing at all, just nice curly shavings...

DSC_0090.JPG

Then over to the bandsaw..(what would I do without that baby)...to cut out the rough shape....remembering to ALWAYS cut very shy of the line...

DSC_0091.JPG

The inside of this infill is really convoluted...in fact...it's a blinkin' nightmare! My little Aled kit shoulder plane came in handy here to create the ridge inside...and it performed perfectly!

DSC_0100.JPG

The inside front of the infill hooks forward as you can see...this creates a very positive lever alignment to pull the whole infill down inside the cavity...very clever....but a nightmare to get just right...my Japanese chisel simply whizzed through the remaining trim:

DSC_0099.JPG

Now for a test fit...

DSC_0098.JPG

A bit of filing needed there on the brass to line the bottom edge up but the leverage worked perfectly....just a small tap with a leather mallet and it fits perfectly...

DSC_0097.JPG

....actually...it was too darn perfect....I had a hell of a job getting it out again!

DSC_0094.JPG

As you can see, enough waste to spend some time trimming it down flush and enough of a lump at the top to put a horn in...if I fancy...

Now....to fiddle with the 01 a bit...I really MUST get a metal cutting blade and one of those small table saws... :D

Later...

Jim

Benchwayze":33j3e0h4 said:
How wide is the infill void Jim?

I have some sawn 1" English Walnut here!
Ahh I see you already started!
:lol:

John :)

Again...very weird John! First Byron offers me some zebrano...and I was looking at that and English walnut at Axminster today and then you offer me some of the very same!

Unfortunately it is a tad over 1" thick...but you guys are so very kind in all these offers...

I thought English walnut was beautiful...these were turning blanks...and I could have just fitted the shape with a small round one...but in the end I chickened out...again...for the very same reason. You never know, I may not like this when the grain is revealed....it's difficult to tell at this stage.

Thanks anyway mate.

Jim

Looking again at your casting, it has two odd 'ears' sticking up in the middle. None of the otherwise similar planes you posted has these, and I don't think I've ever seen one which does.

I see that you are following the shape of these with the wood - do you think they are really meant to stay there? Could they possibly be something that you need to grind off? (But don't do that unless you're sure - I'm just wondering out loud here!)

Has anyone else found a plane of exactly that shape, with the ears on?

AndyT":1t6o0mta said:
Looking again at your casting, it has two odd 'ears' sticking up in the middle. None of the otherwise similar planes you posted has these, and I don't think I've ever seen one which does.

I see that you are following the shape of these with the wood - do you think they are really meant to stay there? Could they possibly be something that you need to grind off? (But don't do that unless you're sure - I'm just wondering out loud here!)

Has anyone else found a plane of exactly that shape, with the ears on?

Hi Andy...I see where you are going mate...like the casting tabs on an Airfix model plane kit!

But I think these are designed in not casting tabs. I will continue to look for one similar...that is the fascinating part of projects like this!

Jim

i'm with andy, i would have the tabs off. really nice looking project so far & i will follow with interest. If it goes pear shaped i have some brazilian Mahogany i could send you. I am sure it will all go smoothly but the offer is there if you want it. All the best, Woodguy.

jimi43":1nw1shrd said:
...will come in handy when making the shoulder plane blade (or is it iron with shoulder planes..I never know...what do the snobs think? :wink: )
This snob thinks they're called "irons" in all planes (except Record call them "cutters" I think :roll: ).

Cheers, Vann - of one of the other colonies. :D

ps I like your work (so far...)

Vann":3nirkeep said:
jimi43":3nirkeep said:
...will come in handy when making the shoulder plane blade (or is it iron with shoulder planes..I never know...what do the snobs think? :wink: )
This snob thinks they're called "irons" in all planes (except Record call them "cutters" I think :roll: ).

Cheers, Vann - of one of the other colonies. :D

ps I like your work (so far...)

Ok Vann...irons they are...

I wouldn't want to get on the slope without the correct pair of skis! :D

Thanks for your comment...I think this is going to be a lovely piece...

I couldn't wait to see what the whole plane will look like so here is a very select corner which I whittled down tonight and finished with some MicroMesh....

DSC_0101.JPG

I am not keen on the open grain of this Indian stuff...but I do like the slight purple tinge and the smell is still gorgeous...

Now to start a search for a "horn eared" plane of this type...you've started something now Andy!

I have left it as it was for now with enough rosewood to do "something" above the ears...

Later guys....

Jim

Looking gorgeous, as expected from you Jimi.
What grades of Micromesh have you taken it through? Do you get yours from WH?
I've never used the stuff, but you've single handedly inspired me to get some. The finish you achieve is awesome.
What do I need?
Sorry for hijacking the thread mate.

Adam.

Back