Book Press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teepeg

Established Member
Reaction score
Stripped this down for a restoration project, unable to get the handle off for now though ..

press.jpg
press-0.jpg

Yeah Cheers Doug, the problem is below the centre nut, I have had to drill the locking pin out as that wasn't moving. It is the centre shaft shown in the picture that is solid and will not move .. I took it to work today to try and put some heat there to be able to tap it up ..

You have done a good job with yours Doug, it looks very similar to the one I have ..

middle.jpg

These are the markings on the underside of mine Jim.

6C746AF2-5FDB-4723-82EE-BE7128D3E1BE.jpeg

the horse shoe beam was bolted to the base of mine, is yours ? If it could be unbolted the platen could be removed & then you might not need to remove the handle & thread to restore it.

Exactly like this Doug, if it can't be removed tomorrow I will go down that road ..

BTW do you see the bench that you built in the 2nd image above .. Still going strong (y)

middle-bottom.jpg

Those handles are a pain to remove, even with heat.

I have done a few in the past.
If the handle is a pain, worse if it is a casting, then to much heat will damage it.

Remove the top nut.
Heat the area round the fixing hole and add oil.
A few gentle tap with a hide mallet should shift it.

They gets tuck when the top part of the thread parts twists.

Then I hang the press by the handle over the ground, with a rubber matt underneath.
Leave it, then over a fe wdays add oil and try a few taps with a mallet.
Then it should drop off under it's own weight.

Exactly like this Doug, if it can't be removed tomorrow I will go down that road ..

BTW do you see the bench that you built in the 2nd image above .. Still going strong (y)

View attachment 151764
Sorry Jim only just saw your reply 🤦‍♂️ hope you’ve got it sorted by now, the bench in the photo was one of the reasons I knew it was you, I’ve a shocking memory when it comes to usernames :oops: but can remember my own work :)

Good to hear it’s still going strong, looks like you’ve had a move round in the workshop.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I did finally get it off using heat and a copper hammer .. I moved from your last visit Doug hence you spot the difference ..

Looks good. Now I have to ask what are you going to do with it? Press veneer? Glue segmented rings together when making bowls? Squeeze the last of the toothpaste out of the tube? Or sit on a shelf in bookcase for show?

Pete

Latest posts

Back