Bonsai Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaco

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Been working at my mates and this is our latest stand it's a table for displaying Bonsai trees, it's about 25" long...

It is made of yew (and yes we wore masks) the thing is we want to finish it in a satin or gloss clear finish that I'd like to spray on we have high pressure spray equipment not HVLP!

I have used acrylic watered down by about 10% which has been quite successful but we're wondering if anyone has a better suggestion for a finish that would be even tougher but can still be spray applied?

Any comments more than welcome!

_DSC0128DesktopResolution.jpg

_DSC0129DesktopResolution.jpg

STA72888DesktopResolution.jpg

Can't help with the finishing, I assume you want something that will stand up to watering the trees?

Anyway. This is absolutely stunning. Do you have some more shots of the constructional process? How did you create the grid work on the sides?

Hi Wizer

Thanks for the comments and yes the finish does need to be fairly waterproof although most people remove the tree for watering but obviously when it's replaced a little will leak out!

The rods are drilled right through the top and middle rails and half way through the bottom, the rails are tennoned into the legs, gluing was with resinite onto the tennons the top rail and just a dab on the centre of the rod where the short rail ends to stop movement all other rods are floating...

It is the first time we have used yew and I don't know if we were unlucky with the planks we got but we found it a really wild wood quite hard to work (but beautiful) is this fairly normal?

STA72879.jpg

STA72880.jpg

S.W.M.B.O posing!

STA72882.jpg

STA72885.jpg

STA72886.jpg

I absolutely love it Lee. My missus was sitting next to me and thought it was a coffee table and insisted I make her one :roll:

I'd probably not use Yew tho, was there any reason to use Yew? Or just because it's beautiful?

wizer":e1oc9uc1 said:
I'd probably not use Yew tho, was there any reason to use Yew? Or just because it's beautiful?

Well normally bonsai stands are black or dark but we wanted to do something a bit different and wanted a pretty wood and yew certainly fitted the bill well, it really is stunning when wetted I can't wait to get a finish on it, hence my first questions about coatings...

Looks quite good but I'm not sure if Lacquer's are as tough as other finishes it needs to be because of the adding and removing of pots from the stand, does anyone know if Lacquer could deal with this?

Lacquers are very tough but there is a possibility of chipping. There's the Osmo PolyX which is a hard wax oil which contains polyurethane. Very easy to apply and comes in satin and gloss.

Very nice stand, must get round to making something for my trees.

Re the finish, I assume you are just using the stand when a tree is bought inside for display or you have semi-tropical trees in which case the stand won't be outside. A lot of the modern lacquers and water based finishes will not bring out the colours as well as an oil or wax finish. I'd be tempted to go with danish oil and just make sure the trees are not dripping wet when placed on the stand.

Jason

That looks great, should complement your bonsais very well, especially if they're conifers. Do you know which ones are going on there? Yew does tend to be quite hard going with very wild grain, so I don't think you were unlucky with your board choice.

I used a modern water based brush on varnish (probably Ronseal or similar) on a large window ledge at home and that suffered quite badly when there was a water spillage that went unnoticed. Managed to soak through into the top layer of wood.

In terms of finish and colouration Osmo comes out almost the same as Danish Oil, don't know about spill resistance though

Looks good. Have you allowed any provision for cross grain timber movement a touch of central heating could cause quite a bit of movement in the top at this time of year.

In terms of finishing i would go for a 2 pack A/C lacquer which will be very hardwearing resistant to spills and relatively easy to apply otherwise osmo or fiddes hardwax will give a nice finish.

jon

isn't traditional for Japanese Furniture to be lacquered?

Tho I think I'd go with Osmo myself.

I really like the design and I look forward to seeing some shots with the trees on top, I reckon it'll look superb. :)

I don't have much experience with Yew but, those boards on the top look pretty good to me. I've definitely seen worse though - next time you're down at Yandles, look out for a big stack of 2ft lengths and you'll see what I mean! :wink:

Hi Lee.

Rustins Pastic Coating, you can spray it on and dries to a satin fininsh it is waterproof and does'nt chip,

Carl

Sorry for the late replies...

wizer":1ja6nlhj said:
There's the Osmo PolyX which is a hard wax oil which contains polyurethane. Very easy to apply and comes in satin and gloss.
Thanks Wizer, Looks good if a little expensive.

jasonB":1ja6nlhj said:
I assume you are just using the stand when a tree is bought inside for display Jason

Jason your right the stand will be used mainly indoors for shows etc.

Ironballs":1ja6nlhj said:
That looks great, should complement your bonsais very well, especially if they're conifers. Do you know which ones are going on there? Yew does tend to be quite hard going with very wild grain, so I don't think you were unlucky with your board choice.

Ironballs I have no idea what type of bonsai will be displayed on the stand, glad it's not just us having trouble with yew and I've taken your point on the acrylics... We are going to try a test piece with danish oil.

JonnyD":1ja6nlhj said:
Looks good. Have you allowed any provision for cross grain timber movement a touch of central heating could cause quite a bit of movement in the top at this time of year. jon

JonnyD most bonsai don't fair to well with central heating so I doubt that will come into it as the temps need to stay fairly constant. We are finding out about 2 pack applying.

John McM":1ja6nlhj said:
I love the design. Very well done, it's beautiful.

Thanks John I'm blushing...

OPJ":1ja6nlhj said:
I don't have much experience with Yew but, those boards on the top look pretty good to me. I've definitely seen worse though - next time you're down at Yandles, look out for a big stack of 2ft lengths and you'll see what I mean! :wink:

I know what you mean about Scandles these weren't from there...

Carl":1ja6nlhj said:
Hi Lee.

Rustins Pastic Coating, you can spray it on and dries to a satin fininsh it is waterproof and does'nt chip,

Carl

Carl I like the look of that and being able to spray it could be a winner...

By the way HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL... :D

Latest posts

Back