Bog oak treasure trove.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadeye":11pjz25h said:
powertools":11pjz25h said:
I guess that if you read the rules you would understand.

Had a bad day?
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.
When I have a bad day it makes me feel that way too - like I want to make a petty point to someone I don't know on the internet.
Then I realise I don't want to be like that and the feeling goes away.
Hope tomorrow is better for you.
Got a point though doesn't he ! I'm on the lookout for a large quantity of timber to offload on the forum now. It'll save me a small fortune in fees. I'll go about it the same way - Offer it up to the forum then ask for permission to do it afterwards. Hat off to you powertools for having the stones to say something.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

ColeyS1":zvfwnlar said:
Got a point though doesn't he ! I'm on the lookout for a large quantity of timber to offload on the forum now. It'll save me a small fortune in fees. I'll go about it the same way - Offer it up to the forum then ask for permission to do it afterwards. Hat off to you powertools for having the stones to say something.

Well, not really, no. I *have* read the rules - and it's unclear what heinous breach is supposed to have been committed here. I suppose you could just about argue that it belongs in "for sale/wanted", but it's hardly a commercial advertisement and I'm not sure that posting in the wrong forum deserves the rancour it seems to have provoked.

Furthermore, I think the motivation was more to share a rare opportunity than start a timber business. There aren't any fees in the sale forum, so not sure what you mean by that.

Anyway, my real point was that being churlish and grumpy to innocent bystanders - and, incidentally, weighing in to support that behaviour - is silly, and I'd be embarrassed if it were me doing it.

Those who don't want to buy any bog oak are more than welcome to not buy any. I really can't see why those that don't want any would make a fuss about an opportunity for those who do. I have reported my post in the For Sale section of the forum, and am awaiting a response from a moderator. If they tell me what is wrong, I'll adjust.

Board c looks like it could have my name on it!

Pete

It was the complete lack of respect to mods that I thought was extremely rude -almost the rules don't apply to him. I think he put them in an awkward position by not asking their permission first. Theres ways of doing things and I thought this was sneaky to say the least. I'd rather eat a dry lettuce sandwich than support any of this- lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm normally a stickler for blocking commercial operations on the forum, but I don't have a problem with this.

The reason being it really is a unique opportunity. Hamish Lowe, who kilns Bog Oak and is the only source for full boards, tends to restrict sales to smaller sizes or to professional furniture makers. I can't ever recall seeing large pieces of Bog Oak being available for sale to the general or hobbyist woodworker.

I hope the mods let this one continue, as without it most forum members are unlikely to ever have the opportunity of acquiring a meaningful quantity of this unique timber.

ColeyS1 said:
It was the complete lack of respect to mods that I thought was extremely rude -almost the rules don't apply to him. I think he put them in an awkward position by not asking their permission first. Theres ways of doing things and I thought this was sneaky to say the least. I'd rather eat a dry lettuce sandwich than support any of this- lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk[/quote

Theres something odd here, I know Mike asked the question (in the comments and suggestions section I think) at the very start of finding this oak as to whether a sales thread would be allowed and a mod (CHJ I think) replied that in this instance it would be allowed. Now that thread giving permission seems to have disappeared and the sales thread removed from the sales section and locked.

Mike certainly did not list first then ask permission.

Sadly its too far from me to collect.

custard":1u0se8z8 said:
I'm normally a stickler for blocking commercial operations on the forum, but I don't have a problem with this.

The reason being it really is a unique opportunity. Hamish Lowe, who kilns Bog Oak and is the only source for full boards, tends to restrict sales to smaller sizes or to professional furniture makers. I can't ever recall seeing large pieces of Bog Oak being available for sale to the general or hobbyist woodworker.

I hope the mods let this one continue, as without it most forum members are unlikely to ever have the opportunity of acquiring a meaningful quantity of this unique timber.
I bought my boards from Hamish and you're right Custard, they aren't particularly big, but he hand picked each one for me and they are all dead flat and all quarter sawn. That said, it's a unique material and worth having a bit in the woodstore, but to my way of thinking, it's not the sort of material that you'd want to use for biggish projects. TBH, all the boards in his 'shop were pretty narrow and of varying quality; there was nothing as far as I recollect anywhere near as big as some of the boards that Mike has for sale, especially that big'n at the beginning - Rob

woodbloke66":1yi874dm said:
custard":1yi874dm said:

I bought my boards from Hamish and you're right Custard, they aren't particularly big, but he hand picked each one for me and they are all dead flat and all quarter sawn. That said, it's a unique material and worth having a bit in the woodstore, but to my way of thinking, it's not the sort of material that you'd want to use for biggish projects. TBH, all the boards in his 'shop were pretty narrow and of varying quality; there was nothing as far as I recollect anywhere near as big as some of the boards that Mike has for sale, especially that big'n at the beginning - Rob

Trust me, Hamish has got some absolutely monster Bog Oak boards, he keeps building bigger and bigger kilns to accommodate them! There's one in particular that he's hoping to use it for a gigantic table with a single board top in a well known public space, such as Westminster Abbey or the Natural History Museum. He's recruited Prince Charles to try and make it happen but so far without success.

custard":dkxowj84 said:
Trust me, Hamish has got some absolutely monster Bog Oak boards, he keeps building bigger and bigger kilns to accommodate them! There's one in particular that he's hoping to use it for a gigantic table with a single board top in a well known public space, such as Westminster Abbey or the Natural History Museum. He's recruited Prince Charles to try and make it happen but so far without success.
I bet that's the case Custard, but the boards I saw were only the smaller one's stored in his 'shop in Kent. I'm surprised he hasn't managed to get Charlie boy on board for this project 'cos he's normally up for this sort of thing :lol: - Rob

I would just stick it on eBay. People will buy. Or just arrange a Bog Oak 'Meet up' :)

I finished with the For Sale section of the forum a while ago. The rules are applied randomly and a lot of the rules don't make sense.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Deadeye":hk9sykay said:
I *have* read the rules - and it's unclear what heinous breach is supposed to have been committed here.

Just a guess but offering the sale on another site :-k :-k :-k

Hope it gets sorted soon

or..................................wait to find out the reason why the situation is what it is and then react?

Just a thought.

shed9":2h6u17u1 said:
or..................................wait to find out the reason why the situation is what it is and then react?

Just a thought.

Whilst I’m not pretending to know why it was locked from reading the rules that is one that has been broken

Doug B":3lf00772 said:
shed9":3lf00772 said:

Just a thought.

Whilst I’m not pretending to know why it was locked from reading the rules that is one that has been broken
Wasn't specifically aimed at you or anyone in particular Doug B and I agree that I hope it gets sorted.

All I did was try and answer the bloke's question, I did not expect to be told I must have had a bad day and having problems with what he was trying to do that without question many of you are looking forward to.
Some time back I had a large amount of industrial shelving I wanted to get rid of, this was not something I had not bought in to resell but was left over from my business that I had closed down. I felt that it would be perfect for people's workshops at a very affordable price but I asked one of the mods if it would be ok to list it but never got a reply so I didn't.

think this is getting out of hand rules for one rules for others just my thoughts

So in some way I've been favoured, boschboy. Is that what you are saying? My post has been taken down, and no explanation given, yet I am somehow the beneficiary of "one rule for one, one rule for others". Interesting. It seems to me that the one thing other people get which I don't is some sort of communication with the moderators, so, yes, you might actually be right in a perverse way.

The other thread is locked, but is still there to view. It is sinking down the listing a bit because several posts are commented on each day in the general woodworking section.

I'm just awaiting confirmation that it is OK to link to it, and to continue the conversation/ arrangements etc by PM, then it shouldn't matter how far down the list it sinks (don't suppose TPTB want to make it a sticky for 3 weeks! :) ).

I understand this is a difficult one for the forum. It isn't geared up for something like this, and I appreciate the flexibility. Those who are keen on buying some bog oak will also appreciate this, I'm sure, and those few who want to take a pop at this can, as I said, feel free to not buy any. I hope they will enjoy seeing the projects and photos that follow in due course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back