Bog oak treasure trove.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have to look out for my photos, descriptions and measurements, hopefully next week. Having seen the boards today I am fairly certain I shall be selling them only as whole boards, so if anything suits, you'll have to snaffle the whole thing, or agree to split it with others. Some of the boards are so big that they are impossible for one person to lift.

Will do. Happy to buy the whole board and chop it up, length isn't really a problem, only the cross section and quality.

Gosh. All this heady talk of beauty (and, to be fair, pictures of it too). Even as a newbie it looks fantastic.

Dare I sully the air by enquiring about cost? It looks like a perfect tabletop but, what's the ballpark here? I don't mean to be gauche, but it'd be good to know if it's just going to be a pipe dream!

I said previously it would be just a bit more than top notch ordinary oak, and I'm going to stick with that. Normally, bog oak is many times the price of normal furniture grade oak. Because the sections aren't uniform, I am going to try and weigh each board, and will just do some sooper-dooper maths to the weight to come up with a price. My back isn't ready for manhandling the boards again for a day or two (I am sure some of them weigh over 100 kg), so it might be a week or so until the photos are up.

As for them being perfect table tops.............yes, for smallish tables such as coffee tables etc. For anything larger there are generally too many defects unless you're into coloured epoxy.

I can say for certain that the sale won't be next weekend, nor the following one (6th/ 7th April), but could possibly be the 14th of April (Sunday), or either day the following weekend (20th/ 21st). I'll know soon.

Thanks Mike - an occaisional table is what I'm after. It's only the third thing I'll have made for the house, but the learning curve has gone well to date, so a treat of something really special might be possible...
Fingers crossed!

Unfortunately I would be unlikely to be able to make such a journey on short notice.

Hopefully we can make a private arrangement after the main sale if there is anything suitable left over.

I expect that everything I offer for sale will go, and that which isn't for sale will be for me. If you want it, then buying on sale day looks like being your only option.

My back isn't good enough to handle the boards yet, so there remains a short hiatus.

MikeG.":aolytken said:
As for them being perfect table tops.............yes, for smallish tables such as coffee tables etc. For anything larger there are generally too many defects unless you're into coloured epoxy.
I have a reasonable quantity of top grade (and yes, it's very expensive) quarter sawn Bog Oak and Mike is right; it doesn't come in very wide widths and can have a quite a few defects. Ideal for a small coffee table, but if you're thinking about prime grade timber for say, a dining room table, you're going to be on a hiding to nothing. The other option to make it go further is to slice it into 3mm veneers and then drum sand them to 2mm thick, but you'd need a decent bandsaw and an M42 blade to make any headway (both of which I have)
The stuff is perfect for smaller projects, but in my view, it's too hard and too heavy (at least mine is) for anything much bigger
I mad a couple of little ring boxes in it last year..

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

...one of which ended up on top of SWIMBO's dresser and the other

P1020065.jpg

... in Kyoto - Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 202
  • P1020065.jpg
    P1020065.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 202
Fair enough. Not easy for me to arrange a multi-day, cross country trip at short notice and I am not willing to fight it out with other buyers when my requirements are so specific.

At long last my back has relented enough to handle the boards, and I have been able to sort, measure and photograph the ones I am putting up for sale. Look out on Monday afternoon for a new post in the For Sale section replete with 50-odd photos, measurements, some description, and a price. I'll have a date for the sale day, too, and details of how I will be running the sale.

Just one reasonably sized board, shakes and all, would do me a treat Mike.

Thanks for the heads up!

John (hammer)

Well that's typical, the boards I would have been interested in are possibly ash anyway. :roll: :lol:

powertools":120wefn6 said:
I guess that if you read the rules you would understand.

And if you read the thread you would see Mike asked the question early on at the start and was given permission to sell.

O silly me I thought that the same rules applied to us all.
I wish Mike g the best for his sale.

powertools":359zc2q8 said:
I guess that if you read the rules you would understand.

Had a bad day?
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.
When I have a bad day it makes me feel that way too - like I want to make a petty point to someone I don't know on the internet.
Then I realise I don't want to be like that and the feeling goes away.
Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back