Bobbin sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinken

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if bobbin sanders come with chuck mounted bobbins?

Basically i wand to make a bobbin on a lath that can use abrasive strip rather than sleeves.

Any ideas which machines would best be modded for that?

Thanks in advance

Am I right in thinking that you want to make spinning cylinder on the lathe, like a drum sander without a bed? If so look at the Carrol sanders. They use standard sandpaper roll, held in place with a little cam. Very expensive, but excellent engineering.
I have a few that I could be prepared to part with (I don't use them as I have a Jet - I don't need both).

Cheers
Steve

Yup those are the ones but i would they fit in a bobbin sander do you know?

Does anyone have a bobbin sander that would allow you to fit them?

Thanks again!

Ah, I see what you mean. Well they wouldn't fit the Jet, not without some serious mods, anyway.

Sorry, but I think you may be onto a loser.

S

Unless anyone else knows of a bobbin sander in whick you can change the bobbins it looks like ill have to make my own machine then :D

All bar the smallest sizes on the Jet comprise a metal spindle with a rubber jacket - so you could (probably) make a custom jacket.

Well you can change the bobbins on the Jet, it's just that they screw on, they are not held in a chuck.

So it would be possible to use a carrol if i used a tap set to thread it?

shinken":1gf7o1cx said:
Well you can change the bobbins on the Jet, it's just that they screw on, they are not held in a chuck.

So it would be possible to use a carrol if i used a tap set to thread it?

3" Carrol sander for a Jet bobbin sander

002.jpg

The shaft I turned and centre ground

003.jpg

unfortunately the threads are left hand so you will be unable to use a tap set

Andy

You can get LH dies - I converted a Machine Mart one to fit my Lyndhurst one.

RGD Tools sell them on Ebay

Rod

Cheers chaps ill either do that or find a old drill press gut it and make a case to mount it upside down

Back