"Surf-prep" sander idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
Having seen what appears to be the excellent Surf-prep sander in lots of US YT videos I'm trying to see if I can convert a cheapie Silverline 4.5" square sander to get the same effect. The key feature is a hook and loop foam pad about 10mm thick that fits to the machine and then to hook and loop abrasives - i.e. it forms a flexible cushion between machine and the work-piece

The machine has hook and loop (and tension bar) for abrasives, and I can find the right size hook and loop abrasive sheets - it's the foam pad I can't find?

Any ideas/sources from anyone please?

BTW - you can't buy Surf-prep outside the US AFAIK otherwise I'd probably buy one.

Having seen what appears to be the excellent Surf-prep sander in lots of US YT videos I'm trying to see if I can convert a cheapie Silverline 4.5" square sander to get the same effect. The key feature is a hook and loop foam pad about 10mm thick that fits to the machine and then to hook and loop abrasives - i.e. it forms a flexible cushion between machine and the work-piece

The machine has hook and loop (and tension bar) for abrasives, and I can find the right size hook and loop abrasive sheets - it's the foam pad I can't find?

Any ideas/sources from anyone please?

BTW - you can't buy Surf-prep outside the US AFAIK otherwise I'd probably buy one.
Cut a sponge sanding pad in half and glue onto old disc with contact adhesive?

Looking at the surfprep site, I think a simple solution would be a piece of 10mm memory foam, glue hook and loop sheet to each face, using a spray carpet adhesive. Then use a punch to make holes to match your sander base, for dust extraction.
A quick snip cut to size and Bob's your auntie.

Looking at the surfprep site, I think a simple solution would be a piece of 10mm memory foam, glue hook and loop sheet to each face, using a spray carpet adhesive. Then use a punch to make holes to match your sander base, for dust extraction.
A quick snip cut to size and Bob's your auntie.

That was in my mind but finding the "male and female" hook and loop in sheets to cut and glue has stumped me so far - one possibility is to get a Mirka pad (rectangular) and cut it into pieces to mount on the square machine pad.

James (above) - pad need male and female sides on the pad - and i don't want to glue anything on the machine itself.

EDIT: This 1m x Stick On / Self Adhesive FASTNA® Hook & Loop Tape (100mm, Both, Black) - would probably work with some cutting and slicing to get from100mm (~4") to 4.5" - just need to find some suitable density foam now.

Last edited:
That was in my mind but finding the "male and female" hook and loop in sheets to cut and glue has stumped me so far - one possibility is to get a Mirka pad (rectangular) and cut it into pieces to mount on the square machine pad.

James (above) - pad need male and female sides on the pad - and i don't want to glue anything on the machine itself.

EDIT: This 1m x Stick On / Self Adhesive FASTNA® Hook & Loop Tape (100mm, Both, Black) - would probably work with some cutting and slicing to get from100mm (~4") to 4.5" - just need to find some suitable density foam now.
I meant gluing foam sanding pads to a used sanding sheet or a using double sided velcro.. I was probably taking nonsense thought!🤣🤣🤣

..."male and female" hook and loop in sheets...

I would call that (self adhesive) Velcro. It is available in up to 150mm wide. Genuine Velcro brand is worth paying for. The adhesive does not like excess heat and is improved by supplementing with contact adhesive.

As above, the manufactured items are called 'pad savers'. The thinner they are, the 'harder' the designation. For 10mm thick, maybe look to polishers rather than sanders.

Back