Blum Hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlneedshelp

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am nearing the end of my wardrobe creations with just a few finishing touches before applying the top coats. I have a few questions that have popped up recently and would value your input and expertise.

Firstly, I have a question regarding hinges. I'm building 2 large wardrobes and had some doors made up for me by cutwrights. I have the Blum 110 blumotion inserta hinges and bought 24 of them for all of the doors. Each wardrobe has 2 tall doors and 2 box doors.

I installed the first 2 tall doors a couple of days ago. Each door was 201cm tall by 54.3cm wide. Cutwrights put the inserta cup holes on the doors for me. The hinges were 7cm and 69cm from the top and bottom of the door. 4 hinges in each door.

Last night I drilled the holes for the 4 hinge plates on the next wardrobe only to discover that for those doors they only put 2 hinge holes. Now I have some filling to do. However, before I do, I need to know if 2 hinges are suitable or whether I need to go back to cutwrights to have another 2 hinges drilled. These doors are slightly larger at 201cm x 56.8cm.

The doors are made by using 22cm mdf rail and stiles at 9cm widths. The panels are 6mm MDF.

Secondly, with the doors that are fitted, there is a 3mm gap between the doors and the internals. Where the doors meet at the centre when closed they touch the internals. What do people use to cushion this contact so that the doors are flush with the face frame? They are flush where the hinges are so it is just where the doors meet that I need something 3mm deep to keep them flush all the way.

Finally, I want to add a crown to the top of the wardrobe. What do I need? Is it Architrave, cornice or coving or do people just choose a moulding they like? When I have picked one, how do I fit it? Most seem flat on the reverse so I am wondering if I need to attach it to some wood i.e. 32mmx32mm to create a ledge that can then be screwed to the top.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

4 hinges are best on a 2m tall door. You could get away with 3 I suppose, but seeing as you have drilled out for the hinge plates, and have the hinges, just drill the 35mm holes in the doors.
Regarding the 3mm spacer stand off for the meeting edge of the doors, I use little rubber sticky things. Like theses..
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1528034512

Back