BLO on oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at suppliers of boiled linseed oil and noticed that many of then say its not for use on oak. I have no idea why, could someone tell me the reason?

I can't imagine why not. I've been intermittently been using it on oak for nearly four decades. We've just had a project go through the workshop for external furniture. Most of the work is in oak and nearly all of it was finished with boiled linseed oil.

In this case the oil is only there to give an attractive finish at the beginning of the work's life. It won't protect the wood much at all and I expect the oiled look to have faded away within about 12 months and the natural aged silvering effect to take over.

It might be an idea to contact the manufacturers that say it's not for use on oak and ask them why not. Slainte.

Does seem odd - I wonder if it has something to do with the formulation of the metallic driers they use?

I have never had problems although a friend who oiled some oak garden furniture complained that it turned black after a year. My outside stuff is mainly Iroko and I leave that unfinished. BLO on inside oak furniture has been fine although for oak, I tend to use a Danish oil of some sort these days.

We've been selling Raw & Boiled Linseed Oil for many years and have never had anyone mention that they had a problem using it on oak. Can't imagine why other manufacturers are stating that....very odd.

Ian McAslan

Thank you all for the comments, I have used BLO on oak and an planning to again, but was just a tad worried by the comments I had found, would seem not to be a problem. :D

Chris Knight":qbhodltm said:
Does seem odd - I wonder if it has something to do with the formulation of the metallic driers they use?

I have seen reference to not using any oil such as BLO (brand specific) that has metallic driers added during formulation on Oak, it was at the time in reference to a table that had taken on a dark irregular stained appearance following grain boundary lines and was purported to be because of the differing moisture content of the piece used. Unfortunately I can't for the life of me think where I read it.

EDIT: whilst searching in the hope of finding where I'd seen it, came across THIS on DIYnot

I have been making oak furniture for nearly 8 years and ALWAYS finish it with BLO and wax. Never had any problems and it is a beautiful natural looking finish.

Stephen

Latest posts

Back