BLO not hardening: Options?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not be surprised if the commercial low build stains are mainly linseed. They are slow to dry, and dry soft and flexible. My shed was painted with 2 coats of black (uv resistance) and 2 more after 15 years. the timber was fine after 30 yrs when next door took it for a pair of minature goats. The stain remained intact over some BZP fixings, no sign of corrosion. Trouble is, no good at resisting wear.

As an update, I soaked a rag in white spirits, wiped it over the soft areas a few times, then came back again. Seemed to hep to get the soft stuff softer, to the point where it started to move around and come away in to the cloth, but it was a lot of work for fairly little gain.
So I turned a fresh burr on a card scraper and used that gently to get rid of the majority, then a final wipe with the white spirit soaked cloth and it seemed good to go. I left it to dry out for a day or so, and it looks OK now. The first coat of oil had soaked in OK, so the wood looks alright.
This is the final piece.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-26 at 14.50.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-26 at 14.50.27.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-03-26 at 14.50.29.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-26 at 14.50.29.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 0
Afraid not, Jacob. Doesn't matter how thin you put it on. Unless you stuff in zinc oxide....which blows away any eco credentials...it will grow mould outside.
Just been googling zinc oxide and environment and it isn't very clear - except in aquatic environments. There are discussions about banning it for boat hull painting, and other discussions about sun creams!
Bad for the actual painter apparently, so cleanliness and protection recommended. Which is surprising as it's also used a lot in sun creams.
I'll have to dig a bit deeper. Obviously not as bad as lead, and the lack of VOCs is another plus for linseed paints.
The "mould" on linseed oil paints doesn't amount to much in my experience - a faint thin dusting like soot which develops very slowly, not everywhere, and washes off easily as you clean windows.

The "mould" on linseed oil paints doesn't amount to much in my experience - a faint thin dusting like soot which develops very slowly, not everywhere, and washes off easily as you clean windows.
I can assure you that up in the 'proper' North...not the North Midlands where you live.. we have moss on top of moss. The ducks are not the only animals to have webbed feet either. Mould growth is a HUGE problem.

Back