Blades for turning saws - help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xy mosian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. The old bandsaw blade in my turning saw is very much passed it's best.

To replace it I am considering the purchase of a short bandsaw blade from Tuffsaws. Of course which one? My jigsaw will happily cope with stock to 1", the turning saw being used for thicker stock. I cannot easily decide between 3tpi, 4tpi or 6tpi.

Do any of you have any experience you would like to share that could help?

Thanks in anticipation.
xy

Depends a bit on the duty expected of the saw, of course, but my 12" turning saw has a blade 1/4" wide and 8tpi, and that seems about right most of the time.

By the way, it might be worth a shot at sharpening the existing blade. You'll need something like an engineer's vice to hold it, but as long as it's not HSS tipped it should file OK.

Hi CC,
My existing blade, 1/4" 6tpi, has been sharpened several times. The gullet depth is now very close to breaking through the back. The last time I sharpened it subsequent setting was abandoned when the blade began tearing.

Thanks for the advice about using 8tpi, I must admit to leaning towards 6 or even 4 for the thicker stock. How does your blade fare on say 2" stuff?

xy

Hi XY,

To be honest, it's not often I have to tackle 2" stuff with the turning saw, but on the very few occasions I have had to, it's been a bit of a patience job! It gets there in the end, but larger teeth would be better. Most of my turning saw work is in 1" stock, and it copes with that nicely - not too aggressive, so you can keep to a line, but makes fair progress through the cut.

Hi CC,

I have just been through Tuffsaws blade choice guide, does it apply here, anyway it would seem that 3/8" 4 tpi should do the trick.
I'll let you know.

If I can achieve "... it copes with that nicely - not too aggressive, so you can keep to a line, but makes fair progress through the cut." I'll be pleased.

Thanks for your comments and for being there to bounce ideas off.

xy

Back