Blade safety gloves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedMist

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can recommend any good safety gloves to give me a bit of protection from my table saw blade. I'm taking all other safety precautions but am thinking a pair of reinforced gloves wouldn't do me any harm and might do me some good.

I know nothing would protect me if i place my hand on the spinning blade, just thinking though if something slipped and my hand somehow grazed the blade....!

(would rather be oversafe than undersafe)

I bought some Kevlar gloves for wearing whilst carving. I could not find any real recommendation so just went with a brand version. So far they have acted as a deterrent so I do not know if they work. They are a type of wool knit so I am slightly concerned they will not stop a pointy blade but they have leather pads which hopefully will work. As others have said they are not suitable for use with spinny machines or spinny wood.

I unfortunately touched the spinning saw blade with my thumb a week ago. I was very lucky, as non of the internals was nicked, only a somewhat deep flesh wound resultat from that incident.

My thumb is in bandage now for the next 3 weeks. Had I worn gloves, chances are that my thumb would be missing now :(

So I too urge you to not wear any gloves near spinning blades at all.

I use dyneema glass handling gloves (https://www.justworkgloves.co.uk/Cut-Re ... 300-Gloves) - they're very thin & stretchy with a rubberised palm. I also use these at work (marine engineer). I don't find any loss of feel with these. They fit very tightly.

Using gloves that don't, err well fit like a glove might be a little risky perhaps - like any piece off PPE it has to fit you correctly and be appropriate for the task at hand. A generic workglove I would suggest might be a mistake - I use 5 different gloves from 600V elbow length ones to nitrile disposables depending on the hazard.

Having said that I don't regard this as protection from a table saw blade in any form. Perhaps from a planer blade tickling an errant finger tip but not much else. Where I do think they're great is;
1) preventing cuts/splinters from handling the work piece - think sharp edges of mfc etc
2) preventing slips when workholding - they do give a lot of extra grip say on nice slippery freshly planed wood.

I read a lot of accident reports (as Chief Eng I have to do all the HS for my department) and have yet to come across an incident where a glove exacerbated an incident but that is not to imply it's impossible or has not happened.

Hmm, from the advice here and on other pages on this forum I've since found, it seems no gloves is the way to go. Better to lose a finger and have 9 remaining than have them all dragged into the spinning blade of destruction!

thanks all

Way back in the very early 60's I was taught to wear NOTHING on my hands. Not even rings. No bracelets or even neck ties whenever i entered the machine shop. Even flappy shirt sleeves got you a mouthful of old anglo saxon.
Then in the 70's boys with long hair came along, but they didnt get to do anything more interesting than sweeping the floors.

Latest posts

Back