Black wood funny shapes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Stopped into Yandles on the way to the cider farm this morning....

Looking through the timber racks, theres a shelf load of these....not marked up other than price.

I didn't fancy asking, as the most unapproachable member of staff they have was working

Looks a little bit like Wenge, but perhaps a bit 'coarser'

Any ideas, as to why they are that shape?
Timber identity, who knows?!
Think they were priced at £4.95 each, so nothing overly rare...

Appalling pic, sorry!

Attachments

• IMAG0680.jpg
    IMAG0680.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 167
Hitch":2vnk01mi said:
......Any ideas, as to why they are that shape?

Any chance it's to get round the trading restrictions in limited source timber, has been worked at source so that it gets round import-export of raw timber restrictions, you'll note that there are also rectangular spindles on the racks that have the ends machined into a small totally pointless rectangular tenon.

CHJ":1jfi82t7 said:
Hitch":1jfi82t7 said:

Any chance it's to get round the trading restrictions in limited source timber, has been worked at source so that it gets round import-export of raw timber restrictions, you'll note that there are also rectangular spindles on the racks that have the ends machined into a small totally pointless rectangular tenon.

Hmm, you are right there, i have noticed that but thought nothing of it....
Noticed flowers carved into large chunks of Pau Amerello... same reason then we thinks?

CHJ":3bhlytg2 said:
Hitch":3bhlytg2 said:

Yeah - I bought some of those yonks ago at a show. Indian timber IIRC.

BugBear

Back