bit torrent

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Does anybody have any experience of bit torrent? Is it safe? is it legal? does it work? I'm a bit dubious about "Something for nothing"

Bit Torrent itself is perfectly legal. It facilitates peer to peer networking and is a very valuable method of transferring large files between computers.

HOWEVER, like all P2P clients it is used for the transmission of all sorts of stuff, often highly illegal and as infectious as Typhoid Mary. Like the old saying, "If you have to ask you can't afford it" and I wouldn't recommend you download anything using it on a computer you value until and unless you don't need to ask..

I use emule as it uses 2 P2P networks (emule + KAD). I use it to download tv episodes from the states as I get to see them early and generally in better quality than I get off my Pace cable box. It's not as I am not paying for them as I have a premium subscription to cable/sky... I just get them a day or so after they are broadcast in the states.

I do use it on a seperate server though and I run Avast virus killer which has a P2P checker built in. Also use something called Peerguardian which also protects you from dodgy servers looking for your PC files.

I don't download movies or music as that's a no-no... just TV eps which you can video anyway.

Ooooh... 15 mins until episode 18 of "24" has downloaded... 8)

Roger Sinden":3nze7ut9 said:
"24"....g..r..o..a..n.

I remember the first series and saying to my wife after episode 4, 'HOW many episodes left to go?'

erm, the clue is in the title :)

Some people love it, some hate it, me, I can't get enough of it.

jaymar":3ebibo3v said:
Thanks Guys,
I did feel it was a bit dodgy, I think I will leave it alone.

Jaymar,
it really depends what you want to get from it.
I don't think it's actually dangerous.
BitTorrent is the technology used to download "stuff" very efficiently.
The type of "stuff" you download is where the danger lies.

If you're downloading mp3s, hollywood films etc then it's legal dangers you face. mp3s and video files won't give you viruses, but you may find yourself getting sued for piracy.

If you're downloading software, then be very careful, you have no way of verifying what you think you're downloading won't kill your computer.
virus scanners etc are essential. Again, if it's software that you're supposed to pay for, you may find yourself getting sued.

If you're downloading legal software - like a linux CD then as long as you get your torrent file from the software vendor's site then you should have no problems.

HTH
J

Back