Bit of a nip this morning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Similar temperature in lovely Devon at 10am. It took me until then to wipe the condensation off windows and doors. New builds are nice and warm but they are so well insulated and air-tight the damp air cannot escape. Trickle vents make NO difference and the wife will insist on breathing. I've just collected a Dehumidifier so we'll see what happens.

Colin

Dehumidifier has pulled over 1L of water out of the air in first 2 1/2 hrs. You can see why so many models are sold out.
rebuilt and extended my old hovel of a bungalow 10 yr. ago wet underfloor heating, 8 zone, only use 3or 4 of them wood burner at night this weather, insulation everywhere. its a big 5 bed bung, never seen any condensation anywhere ever.proper dpc and underfloor membranes with no holes in.i know because i did it.

My passive dehumidifiers working well on an icy day.
Single glazing - condensation drips into channel which is drained off to the outside.
Very traditional detail in old public buildings.
The original here was a runnel in the stone cill inside with a 1/2" lead pipe taking it out. Replaced with wooden channel and 10mm copper pipe.

IMG_5113.JPG

Last edited:
rebuilt and extended my old hovel of a bungalow 10 yr. ago wet underfloor heating, 8 zone, only use 3or 4 of them wood burner at night this weather, insulation everywhere. its a big 5 bed bung, never seen any condensation anywhere ever.proper dpc and underfloor membranes with no holes in.i know because i did it.
Obviously a temperature difference of 30c between inside and out is the starting point. Despite insulation of 75mm under the heated floor, 400mm in the loft, 100mm of board in the walls, DG units etc and an EPC of 89, moisture trapped inside is the issue.
I'm wondering if one of the triggers may be the woodburner. This is the first house we have had without one, so no natural draw of [moist] air through the house to feed a fire and out of the house.
On a positive, the Air Source Heat Pump is performing well. No heating is needed during the day, 3 hrs in the morning and back on at 4:30pm until 10:30pm keeps everything warm.

Colin

My passive dehumidifiers working well on an icy day.
Single glazing - condensation drips into channel which is drained off to the outside.
Very traditional detail in old public buildings.
The original here was a runnel in the stone cill inside with a 1/2" lead pipe taking it out. Replaced with wooden channel and 10mm copper pipe.

View attachment 149109
I have a new house. Get a bit of condensation on window glass. My version of a “passive dehumidifier“ is attached. Needs a bit of effort but cheap to run. First winter there was a lot more condensation as the house dried out. Not much now, tumble drier is vented to outside, no gas cooker putting water vapour in house, cooking we put lids on pans and inductive hob is very controllable so just simmer water, not boil furiously, so little water vapour.
9FA421F9-1045-4FF6-9ACF-D78AE460EE5A.jpeg
Took ages to get across that water does not get hotter and cook food quicker boiling furiously.

Back