biscuit joining large panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcjwebb

Established Member
Reaction score
ok so i managed to get hold of a fairly good biscuit joiner, works briliantly ( on small panels ) however i am in the process of building a cabinet that is 4ft long 18 inh deep, and want to know if anyone has any idea on the best wat to do the end of the 4ft panel, as standing on end seems to work the best with the flushest joint, i am happy to put it on its end but do need it to be stable, is a large L jig going to be ok for this?

also are there any other jigs for biscuit joining that would be a great addition?

Regards

Marc

At 4' that's what I'd do, a large "L" jig on a known flat surface. Much beyond 4' and I stop referencing from the sole plate.

when you say stop refercing from the sole plate, i take it thats the bottom plate of the joiner? very new to this type of joinery lol

Marcjwebb":316jhp4z said:
when you say stop refercing from the sole plate, i take it thats the bottom plate of the joiner? very new to this type of joinery lol

That's it!

Unless you're using a really top of the range biscuit jointer, like a Lamello or Mafell, and you've had quite a bit of practise, then referencing from the sole plate is the best guarantee of accuracy.

Of course for lots of jobs that sort of accuracy isn't required, but if it is then keeping the sole plate down on a true flat surface (like a 25mm thick sheet of MDF) is how you'll achieve it.

ah got ya, so use the base if i know its on a trueish flat surface with the piece at 90 against the l bracket?

Marcjwebb":2xlmjgz6 said:
ah got ya, so use the base if i know its on a trueish flat surface with the piece at 90 against the l bracket?

That's the way! Get the set up accurate and you're golden even with a basic biscuit jointer.

Good luck!

Back