Bike pump

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
I have a pump that works pretty well, but the business end with the lever, that fits Schrader valves, is much too big to fit on the valve of my grandchildren's bikes. Is there some adapter or flexible adapter I can buy?

Yes - look up woods valve adaptors on Amazon

I use to carry one when I cycled to work. Could use foot pumps to inflate my fancy tyres if I needed to.

Thanks, but I don't think that would help. The fitting on my pump will mate withbthe Schrader valve, but if is too big. The lever sticks out too far, and I can't fit it onto the valve of a small wheel.

My pump does both - you undo the collar holding the fitting and turn it over - big hole one side, small hole the other. I don't suppose yours does the same?

Hi
There are all sorts of solutions for the problem caused by tyre manufacturers using different valves. If you have a car tyre type pump (Schrader valve) you can buy a flexible schrader hose on eBay and any online bike shop will sell you an adapter that will fit in the end of that to convert it to whichever fitting you need, hope that helps?

I fear I am not being clear. The pump works perfectly with Schrader valves. It's just that the physical size of the business end with the lever is too big to fit between the valve and the wheel hub.

car/motorcycle are normally only Schreader valves, i havent seen one that isnt....saying that im only 45 so theres still time

motor vehicles us Schrader from the factory. it's in the homologation regs.
there are after market options, they all have an adapter to Schrader.

issues already sorted I see, so nothing to add other than I had the same issue with a pram, really annoying. :)

edit: actually, something to add. the one you've ordered is damned expensive and completely overkill.

this would have suited just fine and you get 2.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruan-Porta...keywords=bike+pump+hose&qid=1604563801&sr=8-9

Just revisiting this, the extenders I bought are no bl@@dy use at all, as there's nothing to depress the pin on the Schrader valve, so I still can't pump the tyres up...

I apologies John that i suggested what appeared to be fit for purpose but evidently was not. Let me have a rumage in the dark of the bike cave and see if ive got one suitable that i can stick in the post.

No apology needed. I was just venting after freezing my hands off trying to fix this bike...
You probably know how it works...grandson gets given bike, grandpa is enlisted to sort it out, ends up spending ££££ on inner tubes and valve adapters...

No apology needed. I was just venting after freezing my hands off trying to fix this bike...
You probably know how it works...grandson gets given bike, grandpa is enlisted to sort it out, ends up spending ££££ on inner tubes and valve adapters...
Other way round in this house. Grandpa buys a new bike, son in law spends god knows how long sorting it out. 🤣

Back