Big Caste Grinder, How to Restore?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Billy Flitch":oo0h8md7 said:
Up until the use of white metal lignum Vitae was the wood used for prop shaft bearings in boats, ships and subs.

I think it was used, in some cases, well after the use of white metal.

I don't know the details of how those choices were made.

BugBear

Billy Flitch, I have an American "Luther" Grinder that I use for grinding washers (its safer for that slight hairy operation!), really fantastic machine I was lucky enough to get at my local car boot!

The Luther by Rhyolith, on Flickr

The big machine this post is about is NOT mine, it belongs to one of the intuitions i volunteer for. I hate seeing these things sitting around dieing and in this case hope I might be able to convince the owners to let me rescue it. Having a plan of how to restore it helps with such pitches, because you sound like you know what your talking about ;)

The objective is rescue and conserve.

Lignum... yeah... I would be over the moon if I found a usable amount of that for not a fortune! :D (yet to happen) :(

Rhyolith if you want the lignum bearings I think you will get the material for them, not so long back quite a few guys on the forum where turning bowling balls to make them into carving mallets. I think if you sent a letter to the secratery of the local park bowling club asking for a meeting.
You could then explain why you wanted them and for what you never now you might just get them for nothing, then you could just run up a small sign saying material for bearings donated by blar blar bowling club.

blackrodd said:
Some say that King John could get the end of his sword glowing red hot and light his fag off it!
Regards Rodders

Am I missing a reference here cause there weren't no cigarettes in England in the 13 century?

It's highly commendable that you are thinking of giving this a new lease of life, but now is the best time to be realistic about what your aims are. If it's going to be a garden ornament then all you've got to think about is how to shift it, it'll last another hundred years without any 'restoration' as such.

If you're thinking of using it, how useful is it going to be? Is it going to be worth the space that it takes up? If it's such a handy machine why isn't it totally worn out?
Don't worry about the bearings for now, there's years of life left in them. Work out how you are going to power the thing first.

This is Wales, so you can shave a good 50yrs off that estimate to account for the weather :lol:

In terms of use, it really depends on the current owners and the deal I can make with them. I still have no idea if they will let me do anything or if they do what strings will be attached, I think it will be almost ridiculously generous of them to simply hand it over to me for my workshop! If that were to happen =P~ I would probably like it to be belt driven and if it were to go back to its current owner, stick with the exiting crank handle or not worry about that at all because it would probably just be a ornament. The bigger issue either way is that mis-shapen stone.

Good luck with it anyway.

If you wear it out I've got a 30" diameter wheel here, should keep you going for another century or two :D

swb58":cqageudw said:

If you wear it out I've got a 30" diameter wheel here, should keep you going for another century or two :D
Might need that, the wheel on it is... hum a bit off centre :shock:

Rhyolith":378xp55t said:
swb58":378xp55t said:

Might need that, the wheel on it is... hum a bit off centre :shock:

Most of them were off centre and "wobbly" it has to do with the stone having hard and softer area's i was told.
Rodders

bugbear":3utw0qog said:
Billy Flitch":3utw0qog said:
Up until the use of white metal lignum Vitae was the wood used for prop shaft bearings in boats, ships and subs.

I think it was used, in some cases, well after the use of white metal.

I don't know the details of how those choices were made.

BugBear

Lignum bearings are still being installed in water contact applications today... Mainly hydroelectric plants, both as replacements for existing bearings, and in new-build generating units.

I believe Cargo Ships, Icebreakers and Nuclear Sub's are all in service now with lignum bearings too.

Latest posts

Back