Big box joints

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OPJ":slaie7px said:
EdSutton":slaie7px said:
On this stool I reinforced the box joint with screws and went with a contrasting maple plug.

Nice stool, Ed. But. screws??? :shock: :roll:

I know, they won't be seen but, you could've used Miller Dowels! :D

Nothing wrong with screws...don't be a snob!

Ed

If you were to take the end and the side, clamp them together and cut through both to make the finger joints, would the kerf mean that the joints would be loose? I'm thinking of a Japanese dovetail saw for the first cuts and a sharp chisel to remove the waste..

EdSutton":3dz4wy6q said:
OPJ":3dz4wy6q said:
EdSutton":3dz4wy6q said:
On this stool I reinforced the box joint with screws and went with a contrasting maple plug.

Ed

Slotted, not crosshead, and driven home (coated in candlewax) with a cabinet maker's screwdriver, one assumes?

Yes, by twice the width of the kerf.

Smudger":1icbbtxa said:
If you were to take the end and the side, clamp them together and cut through both to make the finger joints, would the kerf mean that the joints would be loose? I'm thinking of a Japanese dovetail saw for the first cuts and a sharp chisel to remove the waste..

Smudger":1b000v7j said:

Yep.....don't do that! That would be missing the essence of making good joints: cutting accurately on the waste side of the lines.

This is a quick enough job anyway, so there is no need to look to cut corners. Besides, woodworking is a hobby of patience.

Mike

Smudger":b7cgek4x said:
EdSutton":b7cgek4x said:
OPJ":b7cgek4x said:
EdSutton":b7cgek4x said:

Ed

Slotted, not crosshead, and driven home (coated in candlewax) with a cabinet maker's screwdriver, one assumes?

:lol: These are not just screws, these are M&S screws...

...hand carved from phosphor bronze, coated in free-range beeswax from bees that agreed to contribute and installed with a screwdriver once owned by Chippendale himself.

Or maybe pozidrive screws put in with an impact driver.

I won't ruin the illusion, just imagine whichever one you prefer the sound of. :lol:

Ed

Mike Garnham":1nrv3hac said:
Smudger":1nrv3hac said:

Yep.....don't do that! That would be missing the essence of making good joints: cutting accurately on the waste side of the lines.

This is a quick enough job anyway, so there is no need to look to cut corners. Besides, woodworking is a hobby of patience.

Mike

Point taken, but it's also a hobby of awful mistakes which should have been obvious*...

*Well, to me at any rate.

Back