Bevel up ? Or Bevel down

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve always struggled with this but these pics are from a book I use for reference - I’m no expert by any means and the book is American authors ..

Attachments

• IMG_1935.jpeg
    IMG_1935.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1937.jpeg
    IMG_1937.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
One of the simple tricks that works 99% of the time is that, when the cutting iron/blade is properly in place, you can read the manufacturer's name at the top of the iron. This fails 1% of the time because (a) some cutting irons don't have a manufacturer's name, and (b) now and again, a manufacturer got excited and stamped the name on both faces of the iron, so the trick fails.

Try putting the cutting iron into your block plane with the bevel down - you'll quickly see that it won't work that day. Then try putting the cutting iron in the bench plane with the bevel up - you'll realize that the bevel presents to the wood at nearly a vertical angle and will scrape, not cut.

One of the simple tricks that works 99% of the time is that, when the cutting iron/blade is properly in place, you can read the manufacturer's name at the top of the iron. This fails 1% of the time because (a) some cutting irons don't have a manufacturer's name, and (b) now and again, a manufacturer got excited and stamped the name on both faces of the iron, so the trick fails.

Try putting the cutting iron into your block plane with the bevel down - you'll quickly see that it won't work that day. Then try putting the cutting iron in the bench plane with the bevel up - you'll realize that the bevel presents to the wood at nearly a vertical angle and will scrape, not cut.
Thank you for your help 😊😊

Cap iron has to go on the flat side of the blade.
When the blade and cap iron are inserted, the cap iron has to be uppermost.

Simple blades without a cap iron go bevel up in a block, low angle jack, shoulder or chisel plane.

I'd have to go look at the rebate and multiplanes. They may be simple / bevel down.

Cap iron has to go on the flat side of the blade.
When the blade and cap iron are inserted, the cap iron has to be uppermost.

Simple blades without a cap iron go bevel up in a block, low angle jack, shoulder or chisel plane.

I'd have to go look at the rebate and multiplanes. They may be simple / bevel down.
Thank you for your help much appreciated and yes it was m 2nd attempt post I had not seen the replies the 1st time 🤓

Back