Bevel edge chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walks

Reaction score
So I'm looking to get a better set of bevel edge chisels but don't have a fortune to spend.
Looking for people's views on the whether Narex chrome manganese chisels are better than MHG chrome vanadium chisels.
Or any other ideas on a decent set of chisels that don't cost the earth.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Andy,

Narex may not be the best chisels out there, or they may be. From all the reviews that I have seen, they will be more than adequate for what you need, and think of what you could be making with them, instead of spending time trying to find the illusive universally accepted "best" out there!

Mark

I have been very happy with my Narex Cabinetmakers chisels and my Narex Mortice chisels. They take a nice keen edge and have performed really well. I bought the Cabinetmakers over the bevel edged because the blades were finer but I have used them with a mallet to chop the waste between dovetails and the like and they stood up really well.

Hope that helps.

James C":147hlc4o said:
I have been very happy with my Narex Cabinetmakers chisels and my Narex Mortice chisels. They take a nice keen edge and have performed really well. I bought the Cabinetmakers over the bevel edged because the blades were finer but I have used them with a mallet to chop the waste between dovetails and the like and they stood up really well.

Hope that helps.

+1

I have the same sets as James C and agree 100% with his comment.

Hi,

There is all ways the second-hand cast steel car boot chisels, I have yet to find a duff one.

DSC_0011.jpg

These are my best chisels I have modern Stanley/Marples for taking out of the workshop.

Pete

Racers":1x1tv7a8 said:
Hi,

There is all ways the second-hand cast steel car boot chisels, I have yet to find a duff one.

Some are better than others, but I agree the range is from "good" to "great". The only caveat is they weren't all hardened all the way up to the shoulder - indeed, one of Marples later modifications was advertised under "Marples - good to the last inch".

So a VERY short/worn old chisel might be soft.

BugBear

If you don't have much to spend (and nowadays, that's most of us!) I'd suggest you go for fewer, but better quality chisels. Chris Schwarz advocates 6 sizes (1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" and 1 1/4") that will do everything a furniture maker needs. If you already have some chisels, you could cut that down to one small, two medium and one large (say 1/8", 3/8", 3/4" and 1 1/4"), which will do almost anything most of us need. If you do find by experience that there's another size you really can't do without, you can always add it later without feeling guilty.

It's human nature to accumulate stuff, and most of us have far more chisels than we really need. The vast majority sit in the rack doing precisely nothing for most of the time. Given my time again, I'd take my own advice above, and have far fewer. Not such a storage problem, you get to know each tool and it's balance much better, and less cost.

As to brand, I agree with most of the comments above. All those named (Ashley Iles, vintage, Narex) are either good or superb. In the end, it's down to personal preference.

Most of my students go for Ashley Iles bevel edge or Narex Cabinet makers chisels for general and fine bench work, and Narex Mortice chisels if required, you will not go far wrong with either. The Ashley Iles set of six will cost around £113 whilst the Narex will be around £55 it depends on your budget.

I'm no expert, but I've been using the MHG 6 piece set that Rutlands was doing for £60 odds, and I'm very pleased with them, as are those that know a lot more than me, that I've been learning from.

They're surprisingly light, well made, take a good edge and retain it for a good time. I don't have a great deal of experience with various brands, this is my first "set" other than a few old Robert Sorby's that I had inherited. For just under £10 a piece, you're certainly not wasting any money on them. The blades are quite slender and lightweight, so I suspect that they'd not take heavy treatment well if you were to take them on site to knock chunks out of housing framework etc, but then, they're not the sort of chisels I'd think you'd buy for that sort of thing :)

Peter Sefton":3q3auisk said:
Most of my students go for Ashley Iles bevel edge or Narex Cabinet makers chisels for general and fine bench work, and Narex Mortice chisels if required, you will not go far wrong with either. The Ashley Iles set of six will cost around £113 whilst the Narex will be around £55 it depends on your budget.

Thank you for that - since you have the luxury of seeing multiple brands in use, you have a better idea than most of their comparative quality.

BugBear

bugbear":25j9b7d4 said:
Peter Sefton":25j9b7d4 said:

Thank you for that - since you have the luxury of seeing multiple brands in use, you have a better idea than most of their comparative quality.

BugBear

Thanks BugBear we do see a lot of different tools in the workshop in my shop at the moment we have our long term students they have all chosen different chisels after testing various types have bought these for themselves

Lie Nielsen 01 bevel edge and Ray Iles D2 Mortice
Veritas 01 bevel edge and Ray Iles D2 Mortice
Ashley Iles 01 bevel edge and Narex rehandled Mortice for two students
Ashley Iles 01 bevel edge and borrowing my Mortice chisels when needed which is a mixture of all types for student to try

Some need more backing off from new, some need more sharpening and some cost three times the others but they are all making the same quality furniture and happy with the kit they have chosen

Latest posts

Back