Better than a Festool? Surely some mistake!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy king

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a DeWalt tool conference where they have launched their new products for 2008. Apart from a new range of battery tools using Li-Ion, 28 and 36v, plus additions in the standard range 12, 14.4 and 18v, and all backwards compatible to current tools so NiCd and NiMh bodies will take the new LiIon and vice versa (It's 'Nano Phosphate' technology apparently, but backed up by using a market leader in Li-Ion technology, they developed the batteries for the new eco cars)
Anyway, thats not the main news...
The Festool TS55 plunge saw has met its match, and been beaten by a new plunge saw, the DWS520K. It does everything the TS55 does, but it can also be used on its side to trim doors in situ, it fits Festool rails as well as the new ones designed for this one. Their own rails have two usable edges so you get double the wear out of the zero tolerance.
It also has a superb anti kickback function so it can't jump the rail if it catches (Only works on their own rail as there are two running grooves on the base, one for DW, one for Festool compatability)
It also has a parallel plunge rather than a pivot plunge, which also minimises kickback if you don't engage the function or are using it on a Festool rail.
Also, the rail doesn't twist like a Festool can. It flexes just the same as a Festool will on unsupported areas, but flexes squarely rather than a slight twist.
Apparently its priced about the same as a Festool, but also available in 18 and 28v versions with identical features. (more dosh cos of the batteries tho.)
I've got no affiliation with DeWalt, I was just mightily impressed when I saw it demoed today, and even more so when I had a go myself!
Also, hooked up to an extractor its up to 98 percent efficient, depending on whether its an enclosed cut or a through cut where waste can drop though the bottom of the cut.
Hopefully I'll be getting a proper look at one in the next couple of weeks.

Andy

That sounds really good - look forward to seeing one in the flesh!

Very interesting that they have a Festool compatible rail.... I am a fan of the Eurekazone EZ rail system and have replaced the EZ rail with the Festool Rail so my TS55 fits the EZ system without any adaption.

Maybe Dewalt's support for the Eurorail will encourage EZ to introduce their own Eurorail that is compatible with these saws without the use of adapters. I know they were working on this idea last year.

John

Philly":5w08gk8z said:
Sounds good Andy - any chance of a web link?
And good to see you around these parts :wink:
Philly :D

Andy

Forget the link, any chance of one to 'reveiw' - just to help you out you understand :wink:

chipp71970":2kzt313m said:
I spotted it over Christmas and posted on the Festool owners group about it.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php ... 8#msg22278

Take a look at the above link it shows that ITS London are selling them already and at the time Dewalt had nothing on their website about it but now I see they have.

You wanna be careful posting such things on the Festo forum, they're a bit sensitive about such things and prone to hissy fits. I think a lot of them have invested a lot of their own worth into their tools as much as they have money. :?
The rest of us don't really care if someone else thinks our kit is pants. :D

Latest posts

Back