Better extraction for Kity 439 planer/thicknesser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who is using or has used a Kity 439 or similar planer/thicknesser suggest to me what sort of extractor I should be considering? Specific models if poss? I know it needs HVLP.

I'm using a SIP chip collector https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-dust-chip-collector.html and I end up with lots of shavings pressed into the wood.

It's the only tool I have which needs HVLP extraction so ideally I don't want to use up lots of space or spend too much for something I don't use lots.

Would one of the camvacs do the job?

Cheers,
Carl.

Short answer NO

You know you need High Volume extraction, always be wary of any manufacturer that does not give specifics concerning their product performance in M3/Hr I have a 2400watt Numatic and it did not cope in any way with my Kity 439, massive amount of chips left in the chute and on the timber, I now use this: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... eal-717658 no need to go to that extreme on the filtration for a planer, but the 2000M3/hr is the driving force, nothing left in the chute or anywhere else come to that, there is no substitute for M3/Hr where a planer is concerned, don't be fooled with anything less.

Mike

Oh by the way according to Numatic my model has 400M3/hr capacity and could not cope.

108lts/sec =388M3/hr.

Thanks. I guess I've just been in denial that I need a "Proper" HVLP as it's just for the Kity which I use around twice a year..

MattRoberts":3svqglxk said:
With so little use, do you even need an extractor?

Good point Matt

To the OP, you could try with your existing extractor and take off much smaller shavings than at present, never know it may work.

Mike

Come to think of it my mate is running a 400mm pt with a small camvac and his is fine. Which makes me think that either your sip has an issue or your pt. I assume you've checked over the gear for obvious defects. Is this a new issue or has it always been that way?

The Kity 439 does not have a particularly efficient extract system, in fact the outlet is even oval, just behind this is a bottle neck that collect chips very effectively, trouble is that is not where you want them.

Mike

What Mike said.

I suspect the Kity 439 just doesn't extract very well. It's always been that way. I never take more than .5 maybe 1mm at most off at a time.

Just a bit tired of having to manually remove chips from the machine and the wood every pass. Even though I only use it now and then it would still be nice if it worked well when I do :)

I'm wondering about this one at the moment http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-ct-50rck-extractor-508483

Only 1000m3/hr and IMO there is something fundamentally wrong with an extractor that blows the chips and dust past the filter, instead of sucking the air from the filter, I can only think that the inlet goes through the filter and sucks the supposedly clean air from above the sack, that is a very torturous route for the air to take, which must compromise on efficiency somewhat.

As I said previously my unit is 2000m3/hr and clears the Kity excellently, the problem you have is that if 1000M3/hr is not enough, do you buy again?

Mike

I agree with Mike. Don't aim to just fix an extraction problem, aim to completely overwhelm it.

I used to have dust clogging up my bandsaw despite having what (on paper) was an adequate extractor, when I built a new workshop and installed a big, industrial extraction system the same bandsaw became completely dust free. If a big daddy solution can't be accommodated within the space/budget then maybe follow Matt's advice and do without completely? P/T's produce chips not dust, so sweeping up the mess probably isn't as lethal as with saw based tools.

Spending on an extractor but still having to clean up manually has got to be the worst outcome.

Good luck!

Mike/custard, you're right. Just hard to justify it for one tool, especially as I'm only thinking about it whilst working through some old rough oak. I generally buy ready planed these days due to lack of time. Thanks again.

I've got a Delta two-bag jobbie, similar to the Axminster and SIP ones. I think mine has a 1HP motor - it's supposed to pull 8A but I'm not sure if that's peak or continuous. The motor plate is damaged where the power rating is, but it's physically a big motor about 1 1/2 times the volume of the one on my table saw.

Newer 439s now have a round nozzle, which may help a bit, as part of the problem is making the chips go round a sharp bend straight off the block. I hacksawed through the nail across the middle of mine (as welded there by Kity), and similarly removed the cross-shaped obstruction in front of the fan on the extractor. Both helped clogging a lot, so now it usually doesn't. Before it was as bad as you describe. My DX has a substantial steel fan, which will "mulch" any long shavings without clogging. All the obstructions did was allow shavings to wrap round them, giving any clog a head start.

The other thing that helps a lot is to try to keep the hose as flat (horizontal) as possible. My DX isn't man enough to suck chips far uphill, so letting the hose run along the floor was a no-no. It's still a bit awkward, as the inlet to the DX is at waist height, pointing downwards (the fan is horizontal). So I've got some rollers made from plastic wastepipe suspended from the beams in the ceiling by galv fencing wire, and the hose sort of lopes along those until it gets to the extractor. It's a PITA switching over from one mode to t'other. It certainly wouldn't work if everything was tidily plumbed in with permanent pipe.

I don't think it would run all that well without any extraction, as the shoulder in the extraction chute would make it block up, particularly when thicknessing, as it has to chuck the chips upwards against gravity. It's a bit underpowered as a P/T but I paid very little for mine (and had to refurbish it), so I can't complain.

The other thing I did with mine was block up a lot of annoying crevices, holes and gaps in the frame underneath the thicknesser table. The stand has a flat top, and previously chips used to build up in the space for the height adjustment chain at the bottom - a real nuisance as it would eventually gum up with chips.

I use it rarely, but like you I'm really glad I have it.

E.

Thanks Eric that's helpful. Also good to know it's not unusual. It's clear I need a good powerful HVLP or just put up with how things are unless I start planing a lot more rough wood.

The thicknesser itself although under powered, I quite like the results. I've had by all accounts a better thicknesser years ago which was bad for snipe and this never does that.

Quick update to this thread. Got the FM300BC and first run worked a treat. I wouldn't want any less volume m3/hr as this is perfect for how I'm using it.

I knew it was going to be good when I turned it on and immediately saw all the chips it pulled out from previous thicknessing before I even started :)

Back